By Judi Kauffman
Thank you for inviting me back as today’s guest designer. My project is an inexpensive, quick and easy embellished composition book I’ve dubbed “Quotes & Flowers.” I think it’s the perfect place for jotting down favorite quotes, as well as for notes and quick sketches. This is a decorative book meant to be kept on a table or desk rather than tucked into a tote bag.
It’s so easy to customize! Because the background layers are neutral black and tan with a tad of white, the flowers – made with black outline peel-offs and Shimmer Sheetz – could be purple or yellow or orange or whatever you prefer. And if you’re not into flowers, simply substitute butterflies or dragonflies, ladybugs or leaves (or a combination).
If you happen to want a more durable book, seal the cover with a couple of coats of acrylic medium and then add the flowers. Back the flowers with double-sided adhesive sheet so they are flat instead of dimensional.
- Cover all but a quarter-inch of the spine of the composition book with patterned washi tape. Add a strip of border peel-off along the tape.
- Glue black textured paper to the front cover, leaving a quarter-inch of the black and white pattern on the composition book showing. Optional: Repeat for the back cover.
- Die cut bricks background from tan cardstock backed with double-sided adhesive sheet. Cut the bricks in half lengthwise. Position one half on the upper left side of the cover, the other half centered on the right side. (Refer to project photo above.)
- Add quote blocks, angled as shown. Optional: Use photos, recycled card fronts, or other paper ephemera instead of quote blocks.
- Place five black outline Crystal Flowers peel-offs, 3 small and 2 large, onto Red Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz. Cut around the flowers staying close to the outline.
- Embellish each flower with LOTS of Glitter Dots peel-offs in Red/Gold and Pink/Silver. Bend petals upward for dimension.
- Arrange the flowers on the cover using Tombow Power Adhesive Tabs to hold them in place.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Graphic 45 – Kraft Reflections Collection 12” x 12” #4500474 “Quote…Unquote”
Tombow – Power Adhesive Tabs
Heavyweight black textured paper
Patterned washi tape (Little B)
Die cutting machine, cutting plates
Sharp point scissors