Designed by Mary Dimercurio Prasad for the Elizabeth Craft Designs DT.
I wanted to make my own splattered background for die cutting flowers. I decided to use Tombow Dual Brush Markers but you could use watercolor, Distress Ink, or other paint. The layering of the word die, embossed background, and 3D flowers gives this card a lot of texture and dimension.
Making the Card
1. Choose three colors for your card. I used red, orange, and yellow. Color these randomly on a
non-stick craft sheet. Mist fairly generously with water. Lightly mist a white sheet of cardstock.
Run this through the colors on the non-stick craft sheet.
2. Add more color to the non-stick craft sheet. This time mist lightly. Randomly place the cardstock back into the color on the sheet. This will create some darker blotches and smears across the lighter background.
3. Let the cardstock dry completely (or use a heat tool). Die cut flowers. Run a matching color Copic marker (I used the R32 – Peach) along the edges of the flowers to hide some of the white cardstock. Shape petals.
4. Die cut “Thank You” 6 to 8 times (depending on how thick you want it) from black cardstock.
Glue the pieces on top of each other to form a 3D sentiment.
5. Cut black cardstock to 4 x 5 1/4 inches. Cut card base from white cardstock, 4 1/4 inches by 11 inches and fold in half. Cut another piece of white cardstock for embossed background about the same size as your embossing folder.
6. Open embossing folder and ink one side with Black Soot Distress Ink (I inked the thinner side of the Swirly Curves embossing folder). Emboss white piece of cardstock. This will impress the black into the background.
7. Cut embossed piece about 1/8 inch smaller than the black cardstock (so 1/16th will show around the edges). Layer and adhere to card base.
8. Assemble the flowers as shown. Add adhesive back pearls or color dots to center. I colored one of the pearls with Copic marker YR18 to match the flower (top right).
Elizabeth Craft Designs Supplies
- 778 Thank You Die
- 725 Flower Set 3 Die
- 728 Bunch of Flowers 1 Die
- 729 Bunch of Flowers 2 Die
- 119 Swirly Curves Embossing Folder
- White and Black Cardstock
- Tombow Dual Brush Pens: Orange, Red, Yellow
- Copic Markers: R32, YR18
- Distress Ink: Black Soot
- Tim Holtz Distress Marker Spritzer
- Adhesive Pearls and Color Dots
- Non-Stick Craft Sheet
- Glue and Adhesive