Hi! It’s Suzanne Cannon here from Quietfire Design with a project using a fun technique that works with almost all A Way With Words dies and Elizabeth Craft Designs Tags & More dies.
By die cutting one of the Tags & More decorative inserts on either side of the card you can create brackets that hug and frame the word. (Each Tags & More die set has several of these decorative overlays.)
1. Form an 8” x 5.5” tent-fold card base from red cardstock.
2. Cut a 6.75” x 4” panel from watercolour paper. Die cut a small maple leaf and Thanks from another piece of watercolour paper. Use a ball stylus to score veins into leaf
3. Use a wet-in-wet technique to randomly colour the watercolour paper panel, die cut leaf and Thanks with Distress Ink Re-inkers. Allow to dry. Curl the leaf with your fingers.
4. Mat the watercolour panel with black cardstock leaving a narrow border.
5. Cut a 6.5 x 4” (approximate) panel from black cardstock. To create first bracket opening, tape leaves insert die to the left end cardstock with removable tape and die cut. Follow steps 6 – 9 to create the side of the bracket.
6. Use a soapstone pencil to lightly draw a straight line across the black panel. (Don’t press into the cardstock, the line is temporary and will be removed in step 8.)
7. Position Thanks to determine the space you will need to leave for your word.
8. Using the soapstone pencil mark, align the leaves insert die on the right side of the word. Use removable tape to hold in place and die cut. It should be the mirror image of the leaves cut in step 5. Use a clean soft rag to wipe off the soapstone pencil mark. 9. If needed, trim the black cardstock panel so that the distance from the leaves and the ends of the rectangle is the same at both sides. Mat the black rectangle on the watercolour panel with foam tape. The final size of the die cut panel is 6.25 x 3.5”.
10. Use the fine pointed scissors and tweezers to cut slivers of foam tape and adhere Thanks between the brackets. Adhere the maple leaf with foam tape, positioning it as shown in the photo so it extends upward at the end of the swirl on the letter ‘k’.
11. Adhere assembled panels to card base with foam tape.
Elizabeth Craft Designs has many Tags & More sets with wonderful decorative inserts that will work really well for this technique. Here is one using Believe and one of the inserts from Tags & More 9 Sparkle (1077).
Enjoy mixing and matching your A Way With Words dies and any of those versatile Tags & More insert (decorative overlay) dies that make such great brackets!
Quietfire Design “Thanks” (1058)
Tags & More 3 – Leaves (953)
Susan’s Garden – Woodland Leaves (1092) 6 piece set
4″ X 9″ Watercolor Paper – 10 pack (WP903)
Susan’s Garden 4pcs. All metal Tool Set in Luxury Case (sku 808)
Fine Pointed Tweezers by Elizabeth Craft Designs, Inc. (801)
Fine Pointed Scissors by Elizabeth Craft Designs, Inc. (802)
Elizabeth Craft Designs Clear Double-Sided Adhesive Tape
Foam tape in clear and black
Core’dinations cardstock in black and red
Ranger Distress Inks; Peeled Paint, Festive Berries, Squeezed Lemonade, Dried Marigold