It’s Debra. Here in Texas the flowers are blooming, the heat is rising and the dragonflies are starting to emerge in their beautiful iridescent colors. I saw one a few days ago shimmering in green hues dancing along the edge of the pool. It inspired me to color the dancer image from Dragonfly Ladies 1 Peel-Off and make a birthday card for someone special. I knew she would need to stand up to dance and an easel card would be perfect. The leaf image from the Stand Up Helpers die made my easel so easy! Let me show you how I did it.
1. Fold a 11 x 4 1/4 piece of purple cardstock in half at 5 1/2 making an A2 size card base. Score the top half in the middle at 2 3/4 to form the fold for the easel. With a pencil, make a mark at 2 3/4 on the bottom half for placement of the Leaf from the Stand Up Helpers die. This will become the stopper for the easel so it will stand up. Add a 3 1/4 x 4 piece of dark purple cardstock on the inside bottom half of the base. Die cut to leaves along the center through both layers. Erase the pencil lines.
2. To form the front of the easel, layer a 3 1/3 x 5 1/2 piece of green dotted pattern paper,
a 3 x 5 1/4 dark purple piece and a 2 3/4 x 5 piece of the base purple cardstock. Adhere the bottom half only to the front of the card base below the scored line.
3. Die cut a wreath from the Wreath Bow die in pink cardstock. Clip it apart as shown below.
4. Adhere double sided adhesive to a piece of 3 1/4 x 5 3/4 piece of white cardstock. Peel off the liner and flip it upside down next to your adhesive covered piece. Place the Dragonfly dancer and accessories sticky side up on the release sheet.
5. Place the adhesive covered piece over the Peel-offs on the release sheet and press firmly to make sure the stickers attach well to the adhesive. Peel off the liner. The Peel-Offs should now be transferred. Cover the entire surface with Cool Diamond Silk Microfine glitter. Brush off the excess and polish with your finger to set the glitter and bring up the shine.
6. Color with Copic Markers or other alcohol markers. Remember that the glitter is now a non porous surface for the ink to adhere to. It’s best to have a light touch as it doesn’t take much ink to cover the surface. If you want to intensify the colors, let them dry before adding another layer.
8. Trim out each image closely. To hide the white cut edges and make the pieces look more finished, color the edges with a black marker. Color with the back side facing you so if your marker slips it will not mark up the glittered side. Adhere the top of the tutu accessory piece to the image on the top edge only, then use a piece of foam adhesive so it will lift and add dimension. Here is a closeup:
9. Ink the edges of the cut wreath with purple ink. Add on both sides of the dotted panel. Add flowers. The ones used on this card were left over from the White on White card I made using Bunch of Flowers 1 cut from vellum. I added a green glitter dot to each flower center on top of the brad holding them together. Add the dragonfly dancer on foam adhesive to the front. Add the accessory wings behind the popped up image. Add the small circles and dots from the Peel-Off for a fun backgroud. Refer to the image below of the closed card for placement.
10. Cut a 3 1/4 x 2 1/4 piece of pink cardstock and adhere it to the bottom inside of the card base below the Stand Up Helper leaves. Die cut Happy Birthday in purple and adhere to pink piece.
Add colored bird and flowers. Add green glitter dots to the corners. To complete pop up the leaves so your easel card will stand. Here is a side view:
The Stand Up Helpers die really make the hardest part of an easel card simple. There are several cute designs to go with any theme. If you haven’t given an easel card a try yet I hope this tutorial will inspire you and guide you along the way.
Elizabeth Craft Designs products used:
792 Stand Up Helpers
731 Wreath Bow
728 Bunch of Flowers 1
738 Happy Birthday Large
2555 Dragonfly Ladies 1
7018 Glitter Dots Green/Gold
641 Cool Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter
501 Double Sided Adhesive
Other Products used:
Printed Paper-Jillibean Soup
Dusty Concord Distress Ink
Copic Markers- E02, V20, V22, V28, YG07, R81, R83, R85
Black Sharpie Marker