Hi It’s Kelly Booth
One of my very favorite things to do with cardstock that has a white core (White on one side and colored on the other) such as the New colored Soft Finish Cardstock, is to emboss it and then lightly sand the surface. I am just loving all the fun colors of the Soft Finish Cardstock so thought I would play with this favorite technique of mine.
Here is the front of the card with fun colors and Happy Balloons!
And the inside with more of the embossed and sanded cardstock around the Happy Birthday Pop Up:
You will need the following dies:
Happy Birthday Pop Up Set, Balloon Pop Up set, Large Cloud from All Seasons Tree, Heart from Accordion Oval set and the Fitted Frames 4 – Curvy Ovals.
Creating the Card:
- Cut two pieces of White Soft Finish Cardstock 100lb to 4″.3/4″ by 8″.5″; score and set aside one. Take the other scored card and place the Happy Birthday Pop Up in the center fold lining up the nubs and run through your die cutting machine. Using your fingers under the happy birthday gently get the pop up formed. Place adhesive pieces onto the back of the Happy Birthday Pop Up portion and place onto the inside of the card front evenly, trim edges if necessary.
- Take a 4″.4″ by 5″5″ piece of each of the following colors of Soft Finish Cardstock: White, Soft Sky, Spring Green,Perfect Pink, and Lavender. Working one piece at a time, place the pieces into the Lots of Dots Embossing Folder so that the raised dots will be on the colored side. Run through your die cutting machine. Again working one piece at a time, place each rectangle onto a flat surface and use a fine grit sanding block to lightly sand the surface. The dots will sand down to white. (Use a gentle touch – the goal is to sand ONLY the raised dots.)A Piece of fine grit sand paper will work, too, but not as well as a sanding block.
- Cut the following pieces from your embossed card stock pieces: 1 Large solid balloon (Spring Green); 3 center balloons – 1 Lavender , 1 Soft Sky and 1 Perfect Pink; 2 Balloon Baskets – 1 Perfect Pink and one Spring Green; 1 Balloon decorative star strip in Perfect Pink; 1 Large Cloud 1 medium and 2 small from your embossed White piece.
- Using a little liquid adhesive to secure the layers put the skinny balloon together. Place the medium cloud on the right edge sticking out and adhere on the right side of the card front using Clear Double Sided Adhesive. Now assemble the large balloon; add the large cloud to the top and a small cloud to the left. Place a few pop dots or dimensional tape on the back and place it onto the card front toward the left, slightly overlapping the other balloon.
- Stamp Hello Sweetie on a scrap of White Soft Finish Cardstock using black dye ink. Color the Hello with a soft blue marker or pencil. Cut this into a strip about 1/2″ wide and and 3″1/2″ long; hand cut a banner V on the right side. Place some Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the back and position the banner at the upper left about 1/8″ down from the top edge of the card.
- To complete the inside of the card: Using the leftover embossed and sanded pieces from the balloons, die cut a Happy Birthday from Soft Sky, add a little liquid adhesive on the back and place onto the Happy Birthday section of the Pop Up.
- Using the Happy Birthday Pop Up die and leftover Spring Green, place die so that you can cut both the lower and upper platform only. (You might have to position and run it through two different times to cut these. Using a craft knife or scissors snip away the platforms, place Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the back and add the bands to the platforms on the Pop Up Card. Cut stars from the scraps of Perfect Pink and Lavender, place a little adhesive on the back and position over the white stars on the Pop Up.
- Using the Fitted Frames 4 – Curvy Ovals die and White Soft Finish Cardstock, cut the center oval (smallest shape in the die). Stamp The Sky’s the Limit onto the oval with black dye ink. Place pieces of Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the back and position the oval toward the bottom of the inside of the card, centered as shown.
- Take the Fitted Frames 4 – Curvy Oval die and cut the curvy frame from Soft Sky Soft Finish Cardstock (counting from the center, this is the second shape in the die). Add tiny pieces of Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the back, position the frame around the sentiment oval.
Your card is now finished! I hope you have enjoyed today’s tutorial. Thank you for stopping by the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog.
Elizabeth Craft Designs Supplies:
Accordion Oval Card (Heart)
Die Cutting Machine, sanding block, scissors, exact o knife, black dye ink, dimensional tape.