It’s Frances here and it’s my turn to post a tutorial for the Die Cutting Design Team today. As most of you know, I love pop up cards and I was super excited when I found out that we were getting a set of general pop up dies to create all sorts of fun projects. I designed a birthday card card using the new General Pop Ups die set along with a couple of other new dies that are being released this month. I don’t know about you, but I can never make too many birthday cards.
Here is how I created my card:
Step 1 –
- Using the ModaScrap Color of Puppies Boy 12 x 12 Patterned Paper Pack, cut a piece of the striped paper measuring 5 inches x 10 inches. Refer to the photo above to see how the stripes are oriented.
- Score and fold along the center, then lay it flat and place the pop up die so the centering nubs of the die are lined up with the score line, as well as centered from top to bottom along that line.
- Run through die cutting machine.
- Fold and pop up both sections so it looks like the photo above.
Step 2 –
Using the Birthday Candle die set, die cut the following:
- (10) Solid Candles from white cardstock.
- (10) Decorative Layer Candles from a mix of red, teal, green and orange cardstock backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape prior to die cutting – the striped, diagonally striped, dotted and confetti pattern candles are used for this card.
- Remove protective backing from the decorative candles and adhere each to a solid white candle.
- Set 4 candles aside for the card front.
- Cut a piece of teal cardstock that measures 5 /14 x 10 1/2 inches. Score and fold at 5 1/4 inches to create a 5 1/4 inch square top-fold card.
- Apply adhesive to the pop up insert, taking care not to get adhesive near the pop up panel, and adhere to the inside of teal card. (Tip – Carefully line up one side of the pop up insert on the inside of card and adhere that down before adhering the other half to keep everything nice and smooth!)
- Place Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the front of both of the pop up panels and adhere two candles to the top pop up tab and four to the front pop up tab. Refer to photos above for placement and to see a side view.
Step 3 –
- Cut two pieces of green patterned paper (also from the ModaScrap Color of Puppies Boy Patterned Paper Pack) measuring 5 inches x 2 inches.
- Cut two dark green strips of cardstock approx 5 inches x 1/2 inch. Adhere the strip under the patterned paper so just a small amount shows from the front of the paper.
- Adhere these panels to the top and bottom of the inner card (refer to photo above).
Step 4 –
- Using the “Happy Birthday to You” sentiment from the Birthday Sentiments Clear Stamp set, stamp onto White Soft Finish Cardstock using black ink.
- Die cut sentiment using coordinating die from the Labels 1 die set..
- Die cut a piece of teal cardstock using the same die and cut in half lengthwise (refer to photo above).
- Layer the two halves under the sentiment panel so the teal will show above and below the sentiment.
- Adhere sentiment to inside of card so it overlaps both patterned papers.
Step 5 –
- Using the Celebration Flags die set, die cut two of the star banners from dark teal cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the front.
- Remove protective backing from the adhesive on the banners and cover exposed adhesive with Cool Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter. Return excess glitter to the jar and polish the glitter into the adhesive with your fingertip to bring out the maximum sparkle.
- Add a Transparent/Gold Glitter Dot Peel-Off Sticker to the center of each star.
- Adhere banners to the top and bottom edges of card.
- Cut the a piece of Striped Patterned Paper so it measures 5 inches square. Adhere to the card front.
- Cut a piece of Green Patterned Paper so it measures 5 inches x 2 inches.
- Cut a dark green strip of cardstock approx 5 inches x 1/2 inch. Adhere the strip under the patterned paper so just a small about shows from the front of the paper.
- Layer the green panel to bottom of card.
Step 7 –
- Using the “Make a Wish” sentiment from the Birthday Sentiments Clear Stamp set, stamp onto White Soft Finish Cardstock using black ink.
- Color stars as desired.
- Die cut sentiment using coordinating die from Labels 1 die set.
- Die cut a piece of teal cardstock using the same die and cut in half.
- Layer the two half die cut pieces under the sentiment panel so you have a slight edge at the top and bottom of the sentiment as in step 4.
- Optional – cut a second teal die cut piece and cut in half in the opposite direction and layer under white label so the stamped white card is edged on all sides.
- Adhere sentiment to card referring to photo above for placement.
Step 8 –
- Using foam tape, adhere the candles set aside in step 2 to the card front, two on each side of the sentiment.
Step 9 –
- Using the “Happy Birthday” sentiment from the Banner Sentiments Clear Stamp set, stamp onto White Soft Finish Cardstock using black ink.
- Die cut sentiment using coordinating die from the Banners die set.
- Fold die cut on score lines to create a banner and adhere to the bottom of card using foam tape.
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.