Hi Crafty Fiends,
It’s Frances here and it’s my turn to post a tutorial for the Elizabeth Craft Designs Team. The new ModaScrap Happy Frame and Happy Frame XL, released in January 2018, are so much fun and so versatile. These can be used for cards, frames and lots of other fun projects. One of the best things about these dies is that you can create frames any size you wish up to approximately 8 inches, and they can be either square or rectangular. All you need to do is cut the die cut pieces to the size you wish to make.
For today’s tutorial I decided to create a framed art piece that can be used for a child’s room using the Happy Frames XL and Vintage Hot Air Balloon Race die sets.
Here is how I created my framed art piece:
Step 1 –
- Using the Happy Frame die, cut 4 frames from your desired paper or cardstock (ModaScrap Back To School Patterned Paper Pack used here).
- Note if you are using a patterned paper that has a direction (like lettering, stripes, or the hearts on strings that in the photo above), you need to think and carefully plan before die cutting. Note how each time one of the frame pieces was die cut, the direction in which the frame was placed onto the patterned paper was changed prior to die cutting so that the finished frame would be have the pattern all going in the same direction. Of course using plain or a non-directional pattern (like dots or what I have used for my project today) will be faster and much easier.
- Fold each of the frames along the four score lines of each panel. Tip – It is easier to fold along each fold line in a valley fold first and then fold it into a mountain fold once you have folded along each fold line.
- Place a piece of Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape along the tab (shortest edge).
- Remove the protective backing from the adhesive and bring the other edge over and secure to the adhesive.
- Form a box shape with each of the frame panels.
Note – To change the size of the finished frame, Trim the straight edge of two or all four of the frame panels before forming the frame/box.
- Arrange each of the sides to form a square (shown) or rectangle (not shown). Make sure that each of the pointed edges is going in the same direction. (If you chose paper with a directional pattern, this is the time to make sure all of the pieces are correctly positioned.)
- Apply some adhesive to the three inner sides of the pointed end of one of the box frame pieces and place the square end of the other into it. Ensure that you have a neat corner.
- Repeat the last step until you have all four corners glued to form a frame. Note: It is the diagonal points on each of the pieces that create the illusion of a mitered frame! Ingenious!
Step 2 –
- Cut a piece of White Soft Finish Cardstock that 7 3/4 inches square and adhere to the back of the frame.
- Using the cloud patterned paper from the ModaScrap My Little Boy 6 x 6 Patterned Paper Pack, adhere to centre of frame.
Step 3 –
- Using the Vintage Balloon Race die set, die cut two each of the detailed balloon layers – the overlays (one from white cardstock and one from colored cardstock). Color the basket and ropes of each hot air balloons using brown Copic markers.
- Cut off the rope/basket from the colored cardstock die cut pieces and adhere over the white hot air balloons.
- Die Cut the large and medium solid balloon dies using coordinating cardstock and adhere to the back of the colored hot air balloons.
- Stamp the heart with wings from the A Way With Words – Soar Collection Clear Stamp set directly onto the small orange hot air balloon using black ink. Color image using colored pencils.
- Decorate all balloons with Glitter Dots in a variety of colors and sizes.
Step 4 –
- Using the cloud die from the Adventure Edges die set, die cut a piece of White Soft Finish Cardstock so that the cloud is 6 inches long and approximately 1 1/2 inches in height.
- Sponge the edge of the clouds using blue ink.
- Stamp the sentiment “let your dreams soar” from the A Way With Words – Soar Collection Clear Stamp set to the centre of the cloud using Black VersaFine Ink, cover sentiment with Clear Embossing Powder and heat set.
- Adhere the cloud to the bottom of frame using foam tape.
Step 5 –
- Adhere the hot air balloons inside the frame using foam tape.
Step 6 –
- Using the A Way With Words – Soar die, die cut the word four times from red cardstock. Layer and adhere the die cut pieces to create a thick word.
- Adhere ‘Soar’ to lower right hand corner of frame.
Thank you for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.