It’s Frances Byrne here. For my card today I decided to create a birthday card using the new Rainbow Sky die set from the Joset Designs collection. I think everyone is happy when they see a rainbow, especially if they discover what is at the end of the rainbow so this makes a fun birthday card. For a little bit of extra fun I decided to make my rainbow glittery!
Here’s how I created my card
- Cut a piece of red cardstock so it measures 5 1/2 inches x 8 1/2 inches. Score along the 8 1/2 inch side at 4 1/4 inches and fold card in half. This will be the base for our top-fold (tent-fold) card.
2. Using the second largest die from the Stitched Rectangles die set, die cut a rectangle using White Soft Finish Cardstock 100Lb. Sponge around the edge of the rectangle using blue ink. Adhere rectangle to red card base.
3. Cut a piece of white cardstock approx 4 1/2 inches x 2 1/2 inches (large enough to fit rainbow). Cover the front of the cardstock with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape. Die cut Rainbow, so that the adhesive is on the front when die cut.
- Remove protective backing from each of the die cut pieces. Cover the exposed adhesive with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter, brush off excess and polish glitter with your finger to bring out the maximum sparkle.
- Use alcohol-based markers to color the arches of the rainbow in the following colours starting from the outer arch and working in towards the centre. Red; Orange; Yellow; Green; Blue; Indigo; Violet.
- Cover piece of white cardstock big enough to fit rainbow with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape. Remove protective backing and start positioning the arches from the rainbow onto the adhesive until you have your completed rainbow. Trim around edges.
- Attach rainbow to left hand side of card referring to photo above for placement.
4. Die cut 2 large and 1 small cloud from White Soft Finish Cardstock, sponge around edges using blue ink and position on card as shown in project photos. Option: Use foam tape beneath clouds for added dimension.
- Die cut sun and circle from White Soft Finish Cardstock, sponge with yellow ink or color with yellow marker. Position sun on card, tucked just slightly behind one of the clouds.
5. Cut a piece of red cardstock 2 1/2 inches x 11 inches, back with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape. Die cut the word “happy” 3 times. Layer the words in a stack and adhere to the lower right hand side of card front.
6. The inside of the card:
- Using the second largest die from the Stitched Rectangles die set, die cut a rectangle using White Soft Finish Cardstock 100Lb. Adhere panel to inside of card.
- Cut a piece of red cardstock 2 1/2 inches x 4 inches, back with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape. Die cut the word “birthday” and adhere to the lower right hand side of card.
- Die cut 1 large and 1 small cloud from White Soft Finish Cardstock, sponge around edges using blue ink and position to the top left hand side of card as shown in the photo above.
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.
Supplies:Elizabeth Craft Designs: 1120 Stitched Rectangles 1151 Rainbow Sky 1161 Happy Birthday 2 639 Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter PSF102 Soft Finish Cardstock 8.5″ x 11″ 270gr/100lb 10 Pack 508 Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape 64mm 506 Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape 6mm Other: Cardstock: Red Inks: Broken China Distress Ink, Yellow Blending Tool Copic or other alcohol-based markers in 7 colors for rainbow Foam Tape Die Cutting Machine