It’s Frances Byrne here today. A couple of weeks ago, I was playing with the new Elizabeth Craft Designs Ice Cream Cone die set and started thinking if there was anything else other than ice cream I could use this set for. I love when dies can be used for things other than what they were intended. It came to me that the cone from this set would work well for a clown’s hat, so I stopped everything to make up my clown face. The clown does use various dies from 6 different die sets.
Here is how I created my card:
1. Die cut the following pieces shown below. To make assembling this clown easier, adhere a sheet of Transparent Double-Sided Tape to cardstock before you die cut your pieces.
- From the Ice Cream Cone die, cut 1 cone from yellow cardstock.
- From the Circle Accordion Card set, cut 1 small circle from white cardstock.
- From the Four Bows die set, cut 1 solid bow from purple cardstock and 1 spotted bow from bright blue cardstock.
- From the Hoppy the Frog die set, cut 1 frog mouth and 1 frog eye from red cardstock.
- From the Flower Set 1 die set, cut 1 stamen from green cardstock.
- From the Hay There Pop Stand Card die, cut 3 small hays from orange cardstock.
2. Assemble Clown using the photo above for placement. Adhere googly eyes to the clown’s face. (If you don’t have googly eyes, you can use any of the eyes from the character die sets.) Place Transparent Double-Sided Tape to the back of the clown and set aside.
Note: Karen Burniston created a video tutorial that you can see HERE showing her rectangle pull card technique.
3. Cut a piece of red cardstock 8-1/2″ x 5-3/4″. Score along the long side at 4-1/4″ and fold. Unfold card and line up the main die from the Rectangle Pull Card die set so the center lugs are lined up on the fold line and the rectangle frame is centered on the card and die cut.
4. Cut a piece of designer paper 2-1/2″ x 5-3/4″ and another piece 1″ x 5-3/4″. Cut 2 pieces of yellow cardstock 1″ x 5-3/4″. Adhere the yellow cardstock to the back of the designer paper so that approximately 1/8″ is showing from one edge. Attach designer paper to the left and right edges of card as per photo above.
5. Use the large rectangle from the Rectangle Pull Card die set to cut out 2 rectangles from white cardstock. Attach one rectangle to the front of card using foam tape. The remaining rectangle is adhered to the right side of the inside side portion of the card so it is hidden when the card is closed.
6. Adhere the clown to the front of card as per photo.
7. Adhere Transparent Double-Sided Adhesive to the back of blue and yellow cardstock which measure 2-1/2″ x 4-1/2″. Use the Alphabet 1 – Caps die set to die cut the letters “CLOWN AROUND”. Tip: If you die cut the whole alphabet from each piece of cardstock you will have enough letters so you can alternate the colors of the letters as I have on my card above.
Thanks for stopping by today! I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.
Supplies:Elizabeth Craft Designs 1031 Ice Cream Cone coming soon 769 Accordion Circle Card 1025 Pop It Ups – Hay There Pop Stand Card coming soon 909 Hoppy the Frog 701 Flower Set 1 798 Four Bows 974 Rectangle Pull Card 967 Alphabet 1 – Caps 508 Transparent Double Sided Tape Other Cardstock: white; yellow, green, blue, orange, red, purple Voyez en Arriere Designer Paper Creative Imaginations Googly eyes Glue Foam adhesive