Hi, it’s Diana with the penguins *again.* I just think they are so adorable and this particular die set just won’t go back in the packaging. It’s a good thing that dies don’t get worn out! For my card today I stacked the penguins to form a Christmas tree while holding onto the words “Merry Christmas.” How cute are they? Read on to see how I created this card:
- Die cut pieces to complete 6 penguins, but die cut only one red scarf. Adhere the face, beak, and feet to the main black body. Leave the wings and scarf to be adhered later.
- Die cut a star out of Gold Metallic Shimmer Sheetz. Reminder: A metal adaptor plate is needed for die cutting SS; review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial if you are new to this technique.
- Die cut one scarf and the words Merry Christmas out of red cardstock.
- Out of the same red cardstock, make a 5″ x 7″ card base.
- Sponge the edges of a light green cardstock rectangle (4 3/4″ x 6 3/4″) with a darker green ink. (Shown: Distress Oxide in Evergreen Bough)
- Adhere the green cardstock to black cardstock. Trim, leaving a scant 1/16″ border.
- Arrange and adhere the penguins as shown, overlapping as needed to ensure that they fit and are centered. Tip: Start with the top penguin and work down for the two rows that follow. Mount the second and third rows on foam tape.
8. Add the wings and die cut words, attaching the wings at the left and right sides of the penguin ‘tree’ so they overlap the edges of the letters here and there. Be sure that the top penguin’s wings are extended as high as possible so he can hold the star above his head.
9. Attach the gold star with foam tape, just slightly askew to make it look like is not quite balanced. This adds to the charm and helps the penguins look like they are moving just a big and not perfectly placed.
10. Add the red scarf to the top penguin and you’re all done!
I hope you are having fun making cards and decorating for the holidays!
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Cardstock in light green, red, white, yellow, and black
Distress Oxide Ink in Evergreen Bough
Ink applicator tool