Summer is a big time for outdoor activities here in Colorado, so I could not resist using the new Camping Out stamp set to create a Colorado-esque canoeing scene. Colorado is also a state filled with dog lovers (I am one of them), so I could not resist the adorable dog wagging ‘hello’ from the lake.
Here’s how I made the card:
- Stamp the mountain and lake scene onto some alcohol marker-friendly white cardstock (about 4 ¼” x 5 ½”) using the Camping Out Clear Stamp Set. Create a few masks for the mountains by stamping the mountain onto masking paper or sticky notes, and then move them while repeatedly stamping the mountains to create a varied mountain range. Sometimes only one mountain will need masking, sometimes it will be two or more. While the black ink is handy, stamp the sentiment from the Summer Sentiments Clear Stamp Set toward the lower middle area of what will become the water in the lake. Note: Don’t stamp the canoe and dog onto the scene. Instead, stamp it onto a separate piece of paper to be die cut and added later.
- Use a fine nib permanent black marker to complete any lines that may be missing from the mountain range. Also use the marker to complete the shoreline around the lake by connecting the stamped grass images (see Step 1 photo) and adding additional taller grass here and there. Once done, color the scene and separate canoe with alcohol makers of your choice. (shown: Spectrum Noir) Take care not to color over the sentiment. Allow the water lines to create an uneven edge on the sides. NOTE: the canoe in some of the step by step photos is gray, but the canoe in the final card and in the Step 5 photo is bright red! (Choose the color you prefer.)
- Create an A2 side-fold card base by cutting a piece of White 100# Soft Finish Cardstock to 8 ½” x 5 ½” and folding in half. Cut a 4 ¼” x 5 ½” base mat for the card front out of the green plaid paper from the ModaScrap 6 x 6 Color of Puppies – Boy Paper Pack. Cut a smaller mat from Perfect Purple Soft Finish Cardstock at 4” x 5 ¼” (not shown in photo). Trim the colored scene down to 3 ¾” x 5”. Die cut the stamped canoe that has been colored in red using the matching Camping Out die. There will be a white border on all sides. Trim off part of the bottom of the canoe so it will appear to be partially submerged in the water. (Again, the canoe is pictured below in gray, but yours will be red if you want to duplicate the project shown in the preview photo.)
- Adhere the plaid mat to the front of the card base, then adhere the purple mat in the center of the plaid using 10 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape. Put foam tape on the back of the die-cut and trimmed canoe and adhere on to the colored scene panel above the sentiment but below the lake’s shoreline. Cut a 5” piece of raffia and fold it around the colored scene panel below the canoe, but above the sentiment, and tape the ends to the back of the panel. Cut another piece of raffia and tie in a knot around the first piece to the left of the canoe. Trim and pull apart the raffia to create raggedy ends. Optional: Secure the raffia with small snippets of glue dots.panel. Adhere colored scene panel into center of purple mat using 10 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape.
- For finishing touches, add clear droplets around the greeting with liquid adhesive, and create some shine with clear glaze medium on the dog and canoe paddles. Optional: Use a clear glitter marker to add sparkle to the snow on the mountains. Let dry completely. Enjoy!
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Camping Out Clear Stamps – COMING SOON
Camping Out Dies – COMING SOON
Summer Sentiments Clear Stamps – COMING SOON
Other Products Used:
Spectrum Noir Markers
Permanent Black Ink Pad
Clear Glaze Medium
Clear Sparkle/Glitter Marker