It’s Christine here from Susan Tierney-Cockburn’s Design Team. Today’s post is a gatefold card with a Stand Up Helper. The peony is open with the yellow stamens but you certainly can do any of the varieties that are out there. I just love Susan’s dies as the flowers are so realistic looking.
Let’s get started with this card – there are quite a few steps but well worth it.
1. The card base is made using white cardstock 8″ x 11″ scored at 5-1/2″ and 8-1/4″.
2. Place the 8″ edge against top of scorer and score at 2″ and 6″.
3. Using your paper trimmer and working just inside the score lines, trim down to 5-1/2″ then cut away (this will make the easel flap which you want just a little narrower than the center of the card).
4. Fold hangover piece forward on each score line and 2 side flaps.
5. Using the Lots of Dots embossing folder, emboss the (2) 2″ flaps as shown below.
6. Measuring 3″ from the bottom of the card base (as shown below), place the Get Well Soon Stand Up Helper (or any of the other Stand Up Helpers at Elizabeth Craft Designs), as shown in the second photo below, leaving approximately 7/16″ on each end and tape in place with a removable tape then die cut. Watch the video starting at the 2 minute mark HERE to see what different Stand Up Helpers look like when finished.
7. Cut a piece of pink cardstock 5-1/2″ x 4-7/8″ and using the Tags & More 1 – Lace, take the Basic Tag die and shape one end of the 4-7/8″ end of pink cardstock (you will need to trim the edges on both sides). See photo below.
8. Cut 2 flowers from Tags and More 1 – Lace die set. Shape both flowers using the Mini Molding Mat and Susan’s Garden Tool Set. Die cut 2 leaves from Susan’s Garden Notes – Rose 2 set. Stack the 2 flowers, offsetting the petals, and attach over the hole at the top of the tag. Add a large gem in the center and leaves on each side.
9. Attach tag to the bottom flap (2-3/4″ section only) using 6mm Transparent Double-Sided Tape.
10. Print the sentiment, found on the internet, on white cardstock. Tear cardstock and ink all the edges in brown ink. Attach to the tag using Transparent Double-Sided Tape.
11. Cut 1 piece of pink cardstock 1-3/4″ x 3-7/8″ using a corner punch. Punch all 4 corners, ink edges, center and attach in the 3″ section below Get Well Soon using Transparent Double-Sided Tape.
Building the Tile/Mosaic piece:
A. Using 4 different color sheets of Shimmer Sheetz (Iris Sampler Pack used here), cut 2 strips of each color 1/2″ x 5″. Cut 1 piece of white cardstock 4″ x 5″. See photo below.
B. Cover the white piece of cardstock completely with 6 x 6 Transparent Double-Sided Tape. See photo below.
C. Starting at the left edge, add 1/2″ strips one at a time in the order that you want. See photo below.
D. Now turn this piece horizontal on your cutter and cut strips 1/2″ x 4″ keeping these pieces in order. See photo below.
E. Cut another piece of white cardstock to 4″ x 5″ and cover with Transparent Double-Sided Tape. See photo below.
F. Starting at the left, add strips one at a time, dropping down a square on each strip. See photos below.
G. Trim off the pieces that hang off the bottom edge and add them to the top filling in the squares. Continue this until you have all the strips attached even if the last one hangs over the edge. See photo below.
H. Cut this piece to 2-5/8″ x 3-7/8″, mount this on a piece of white cardstock 2 -3/4″ x 4″ then mount this piece onto a piece of pink cardstock 4-1/4″ x 3″. See the very first photo.
I. Close the front flaps and attach the left half of the mosaic/tile piece to the left flap centering it.
J. Using a small Hook & Loop, attach to the back of the right side of the mosaic/tile piece and press down so that it attaches to the right flap. (This is the closure.)
K. Now build your peony on the front. See Susan’s tutorial video HERE.
L. You will have at least one 1/2″ strip left from your mosaic/tile. Add this to the pink cardstock at the bottom of the card base.
I’m hoping that this has inspired you to make this card for any occasion. Elizabeth Craft Designs has many Stand Up Helpers to choose from!
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
CTMH (Close to My Heart) cardstock – white, pink
CTMH Hook & Loop Dots
Art Glitter Designer Dries Clear Adhesive
Gem from my stash
Brown ink pad