by Judi Kauffman
Today’s project is a reusable sign to display on the table, mantel, or near the doorway at a birthday party! I picked bright, happy colors, but the color scheme is up to you. Go for school or team colors, a masculine or feminine palette, or something holiday-related. (If you pick shades of red, leave off the word ‘Birthday’ and use only ‘Party’ the sign is just right for Valentine’s Day and Christmas!) The optional easel folds flat for storage.
If you haven’t previously die cut Shimmer Sheetz, be sure to review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial. A metal adaptor plate or Big Shot machine with Precision Base Plate is REQUIRED as part of the cutting plate sandwich.
- Choose four pieces of solid color cardstock in coordinating colors, one of them to match the Velvet Adhesive Sheet used for the words, the other three in shades of the same hue, plus Shimmer Sheetz in two colors – one Iridescent and one Gemstone.
- Die cut the word ‘birthday’ and the word ‘Party’ from Red Adhesive Velvet Sheet, as shown, or in whatever color you prefer. Option: Substitute solid color or patterned cardstock, backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape prior to die cutting.
- Back a 2” x 2” piece of Fire Opal Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape. Die cut one large and one small corner. Set aside all of the small adhesive-backed circles. Lightly sand the corners to tone down some of the sparkle; wipe with a damp paper towel. Leave the circles shiny and bright.
- Back a .75” x 6.25” piece of Yellow Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape. Die cut one Bead Strings 2 strip. Set aside all of the small adhesive-backed circles. Lightly sand the dotted strip to tone down some of the sparkle; wipe with a damp paper towel. Leave the circles shiny and bright.
- Adhere the words, stacked and touching as shown, onto a 4” x 6.5” rectangle. Add the smaller corner piece at the upper left corner. The ascending strokes of the ‘h’ and ‘d’ in ‘birthday’ are approximately .25” from the top edge of the rectangle. Add the Bead Strings 2 strip below the words, centered .25” from the bottom of the rectangle.
- Mat onto red cardstock (or cardstock to match whatever color Adhesive Velvet Sheet you selected for the words) leaving a sixteenth-inch border. Mat onto the third solid color cardstock leaving a border that matches the width of the second, larger, die cut corner piece. (A tad under three-eighths of an inch)
- Mat one final time onto the fourth solid color cardstock, this time leaving a quarter-inch wide border. Add all of the little circles, randomly arranging them to look like confetti has been sprinkled over the layers.
- Options for display: Lean the sign against a centerpiece or prop it against a candy dish. Or to display as shown, die cut a Card Stand/Easel from Fire Opal Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet. Alter with alcohol inks and an embossing folder, or skip the inks and folder and lightly sand to tone down some of the sparkle. Die cut a second Card Stand/Easel, align and adhere the first one onto the second one for added stability. Carefully fold along the score line so the easel will stand tall.
Create a sign for other occasions! Mix and match A Way With Words dies to cut the combination you need. For example: Anniversary Party or Christmas Party.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Metal adaptor plate or Big Shot machine with Precision Base Plate
Solid color cardstock in 4 colors (1 to match Velvet Adhesive Sheets)