By Judi Kauffman
Thank you for inviting me to be today’s guest designer. My project today is a Best Wishes card. I offer it as an introduction to Suzanne Cannon’s new Quietfire Design dies from Elizabeth Craft Designs – A Way With Words Collection.
All twelve of the dies are so versatile. It would be SO easy to customize this project by changing the color combination or by switching to different peel-offs and embellishments.
In fact, you could change to another of the dies in the collection, too. The rectangle that holds the sentiment would need to be re-sized to fit the words, and the embellishments would be changed, but other than that the theory is the same:
1. Die cut words twice – once in Shimmer Sheetz and once in cardstock backed with adhesive sheet or in Velvet Adhesive Sheet.
2. Add the words to a solid color cardstock rectangle, overlapping them so the darker color becomes a drop shadow. Layer the first rectangle onto a contrasting border, also in solid color cardstock.
3. Layer a piece of paper from a castoff book onto the same solid color as used for the border in step 2.
4. Add this large rectangle to a 5” x 7” card base. Use foam tape to attach the Best Wishes rectangle.
5. Add Leafy Branch peel-offs and a Glitter Dot-encrusted Shimmer Sheetz butterfly peel-offs as shown, or substitute whatever low-relieve embellishments you prefer. (*Keep the embellishments flat or almost flat to avoid additional postage charges.)
By using only simple rectangles the card can be completed in a jiffy! If you have more time, die cut other shapes for some of the layers.
If you’re switching to a different sentiment, change the color combination; use patterned papers, embossed layers, or whatever suits the occasion and the recipient.
With Sympathy would work better with a muted, respectful, tone on tone palette. Skip the sparkly elements.
Happy Birthday would look great in bright primary colors with balloons instead of a butterfly.
Congratulations is a long word and the die is not very tall, so I would change the shape of the card to a horizontal rectangle with a fold across the top.
NOTE: Some of the dies have words that are connected (Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, Season’s Greetings). The rest of the dies have individual words that can be configured on one line or more, and the words can mixed and matched among the die sets!
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
1050 Best Wishes
2598 Branches with Leaves Peel-offs in Black
0412 Big Butterflies Peel-offs in Black
7018 Glitter Dots in Black/Silver
Shimmer Sheetz in White (SS0102) and Yellow (SS0108) Iridescent
803 Metal Adaptor Plate
Double sided adhesive sheets and narrow tape
406 Velvet Adhesive Sheetz in Black
5” x 7” Kraft brown pre-made card with envelope
Solid cardstock in Red and Olive Green
Page from castoff book