Hello, all! Judi here. I thought it would be fun to make some pins that can be worn again and again for special events like birthdays and anniversaries, taking the place of a corsage that only lasts for a day or two –– and, in the case of the star with ribbon, can be made in masculine colors.
I chose ‘Make a Wish’ and ‘Special Day’ word dies from the A Way With Words collection to ensure that the pins can be used for a wide variety of celebrations! For example: The Special Day pin might be worn by someone spending their first day in a new home or by a mom- to-be at her baby shower; and the Make a Wish pin could be worn by the guest of honor at a graduation party!
1. Combine a double layer of die cut Shimmer Sheetz Stitched Circles with gathered lace. Secure the lace to the Stitched Circle with a slightly smaller Fitted Circle die cut from Double Sided Adhesive Sheet. Use two V-cut ribbon tails to accent the double layer Stitched Star. Both pins are backed with synthetic suede for durability (and in the case of the circle, to hide and further secure the gathered portion of the lace). Optional: Lightly sand the circle prior to adding words.
2. Die cut words from Shimmer Sheetz. For the circle, back with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet prior to cutting. Make a Wish will be adhered with small snippets of Tombow Xtreme Adhesive Tabs because the words extend past the star and can’t be adhesive-backed. Optional: Alter the star and Make A Wish with alcohol inks prior to die cutting.
3. Finish the back with a slightly smaller die cut circle or star cut from synthetic suede backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet prior to die cutting. Hide the flat part of the pin-back finding with a small die cut synthetic suede circle, notched at the sides to ensure that the pin-back can easily open and close.
- Use other dies to cut the simple shapes like Stitched or Scalloped Edge ovals or circles.
- Incorporate event-specific greetings like Happy Birthday or Happy Anniversary.
- Go over-the-top with gems, dangling charms, dimensional flowers or other embellishments.
I hope you enjoyed this project, and inspired you to recreate your own pins!
Tombow Xtreme Adhesive Tabs, Non-stick scissors (to cut Tabs), Wide lace, Sheer dotted ribbon with metallic edge, Needle and thread (to gather lace), Synthetic suede, Pin-back findings
Optional: Sanding block, Alcohol inks and applicator tool, Gems, charms, more embellishments