by Judi Kauffman
Today it’s all about die cut Shimmer Sheetz hearts and embossing folders with romantic themes… I’ll admit it: I have a big collection of embossing folders – they’re the perfect partner for Shimmer Sheetz!
Ready to make some quick and easy Valentines? And how about flat, ready-to-mail heart-shaped ornaments and some pendants to wear, too? Shimmer Sheetz makes each project super special, adding just the right amount of sparkle. And the necklaces and ornaments are waterproof and very durable as well.
Need some wedding and anniversary cards or decorations for a wedding or bridal shower? No problem. Simply change the color combination from Valentine’s Day red, pink and white to Shimmer Sheetz in White Iridescent plus Silver or Gold Metallic or Fire Opal or Imperial Opal Gemstone, or whatever suits the occasion!
- Die cut a LOT of Shimmer Sheetz hearts in a variety of sizes and colors. Die sets used: Fitted, Stitched, Scalloped, and Entwined Hearts. Shimmer Sheetz colors shown: Pink, Red and Light Pink Iridescent, Ruby and Imperial Garnet Gemstone.
*For hearts that will be adhered to a card front, add Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the back of the Shimmer Sheetz prior to die cutting.
*For pendants and ornaments, layer two pieces of Shimmer Sheetz with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape in between prior to die cutting.
NOTE: For die cutting Shimmer Sheetz, a metal adaptor plate or Big Shot machine with Precision Base Plate is required. Please review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial if you are new to die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. The piece of Shimmer Sheetz is placed on the metal plate, then the cutting side of the die is facing down (on top of the Shimmer Sheetz). The machine’s cutting plate is the last part of the cutting ‘sandwich’.
- Emboss or de-boss some of the hearts with a variety of folders. Carefully position the heart inside the folder so the pattern is precisely aligned. Example: Elizabeth Craft Designs’ Heartstrings folder looks best when it’s vertical, with one line of hearts centered as shown below:
Lightly sand some of the embossed and de-bossed hearts, as well as some that were not embossed, to tone down some of the sparkle and reveal the ‘core’ colors. When sanded, Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz lightens to white and Gemstone reveals silver.
- For ornaments and pendants: Punch an eighth-inch hole toward the top of the heart. Add cord, ribbon, beads. (Instead of ornaments or pendants, make BOOKMARKS!)
- For cards: Arrange and layer the hearts atop squares and rectangles cut from solid or patterned cardstock and embossed Shimmer Sheetz. Alternatively, attach an ornament, using a piece of washi tape to hold it in place until the recipient removes it! Finished cards – 4.25” x 5.5” (A2) and 5” x 7”.
- Refer to the photos above and the ones that follow for layout ideas, color combinations, and inspiration.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Assorted embossing folders with romantic themes
Washi tape in a variety of patterns
Cardstock in assorted patterns and solid colors
Tiny red heart-shaped brads