Welcome to the ECD blog. I am Anita here today for the Colouring Design Team. Birthdays can be so much fun and creating cards for this occasion is a beautiful way to show affection for the birthday person. I love making sweet birthday cards and Elizabeth Craft Designs has some amazing stamps and dies to make your birthday projects look awesome.
For my card I tried a new technique for creating a gingham effect background with alcohol inks. It’s easy to do because the lines don’t have to be perfect. It provides a colourful base to the stamped images and dies.
To make this card:
1. Stamp the images from Happy Bird-Day stamp set. Colour with Zig Markers or whatever markers or colouring medium you prefer and cut out the pieces with the coordinating die set.
2. Use a die from the Dotted Scallop Rectangles set to cut a white cardstock panel. Using an ink applicator tool, swipe colours onto the rectangle in both horizontal and vertical lines to create the gingham effect.
3. Using a smaller die from the same set, cut a smaller white cardstock rectangle. Stamp and colour flowers (the flower is from the same stamp set) and hand-draw or stencil some grass along the bottom of the white rectangle. Using additional dies from the same set, cut a white cardstock frame to border the gingham piece. (This will hide the dotted edge.) Arrange and adhere the layers, including the stamped and coloured images. Refer to the photo below for placement. Note that the balloons and birds’ tail feathers extend all the way to the sides of the border/frame, their legs and the gifts overlap the stamped flowers. Optional: Use foam tape for added dimension.
4. Using Archival Ink (or any ink of choice) repeatedly stamp ‘happy birthday’ at an upward diagonal onto the front of a white 7″ x 5″ card base.
5. Mat the panel created in step 4 with blue cardstock. Add to the card front. The finished card is shown again below.
Elizabeth Craft Designs Products used.
Alcohol Inks (2 or 3 to create gingham effect)
Ink Applicator Tool
Archival Ink in Forget Me Not Blue
Cardstock in White and Pale Blue
Foam tape (Optional)