It’s Frances here today with my first ECD blog post for the new year! Now that I don’t need to worry about making Christmas cards for a while, I figured it was time to build up my birthday card stash.
Today I am sharing a fun technique I used to do years ago which I was reminded about recently by Els. This technique uses Silk Microfine Glitter and lace. When looking for lace to use for this technique, don’t just look for the thinner laces which you might find with ribbons. Lace curtaining for example is great for this technique as well! I once found lace curtaining which had an owl on it and if you know me … that is important haha!
Here is how I created my card:
1. Cut a piece of white card which has Transparent Double Sided Tape Sheet adhered to the front of it so it measures 5 inches x 3 3/4 inches. I have selected a piece of floral lace curtaining and you will also need two contrasting colors of Silk Microfine Glitter. NOTE: in the photo above I show two different colored pink glitters, but the lighter pink wasn’t enough contrast for the look I wanted so I used Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter in its place.
2. Remove the protective backing from the adhesive paper which is adhered to your card and place the lace curtaining over the adhesive. Use a bone folder to smooth out the lace so it is attached to your card well. Make sure that there are no bumps so your glitter won’t go where you don’t want it.
3. Cover lace with Peony Pink Silk Microfine Glitter. Polish glitter with your finger and brush of excess. Return glitter back in the jar. Carefully remove the lace from your card, making sure you don’t touch the white areas on the card.
4. With the lace removed, add Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter. Tip: Only apply enough of the glitter to cover the card. You don’t want to put any excess glitter back in the jar as it might get contaminated with the dark glitter.
5. Layer glittered background onto a piece of white card which is 5 1/4 inches x 4 inches and then onto a folded pink card that is 5 1/2 inches x 4 1/4 inches when folded.
6. From white card, die cut a medium sized tag from the Tags die set.
7. Adhere a piece of ECD Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape 64mm to the back of a piece of pink card and use the Happy Birthday (783) die to die cut the sentiment. Attach sentiment to tag as shown in photo.
8. Use the Small Dragonfly die to die cut a solid dragonfly body from White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz. Die cut dragonfly overlay from Gold Metallic Shimmer Sheetz and adhere to body. Adhere dragonfly over the hole on the tag. NOTE: if you apply ECD Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the back of the Shimmer Sheetz before die cutting, this makes it easier to assemble pieces.
9 Use double sided foam tape to attach tag to the lower right hand side of the card.
Thanks for stopping by today!
Supplies:Elizabeth Craft Designs Tags (763) Happy Birthday (783) Small Dragonfly (712) Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter (639) Peony Pink Silk Microfine Glitter (616) Gold Metallic Shimmer Sheetz (SS 0212) White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz (SS 0102) Transparent Double Sided Tape Sheet (502) Transparent Double Sided Tape 64mm (508) Other White Card Pink Card Lace Curtaining Foam Tape