Hi and welcome. It’s Sandy Diller here today sharing a fun home décor wall panel. I love mixed media and this was the perfect opportunity to get my hands a little messy and use my dies in a different way. I used lots of Shimmer Sheetz, fun foam, dies and gesso to create this panel. Hope you enjoy and will give it a try.
2. Cut 4 hinges from the Hardware 1 set. Use strong paper for these as they hold the panels together.
3. Mark the holes and drill or punch where marked. The hinges were set 1/4″ from the edge of the canvas. Attach the panels together using the hinges with 6 small brads in each one.
4. Using fun foam, die cut the Curvy Ovals and the Curvy Rectangles. Separate the pieces and select the ones to be used. Glue pieces in place.
5. Using fun foam, die cut 4 corners of your choice and glue in place.
Any color fun foam can be used for this and they don’t even have to be all the same color because they will be covered with gesso.
White foam was used here simply because it was available.
6. Using a paint brush – cover the entire thing with gesso. If you are not familiar with gesso, it is a primer for mixed media and it makes all the surfaces equal so they take the color evenly.
Just a note – the first color I selected was orange but after coloring my panels with it, I was unhappy. I painted the panels again with gesso and started over.
7. Select colors, Lindy’s Stamp Gang Color Mists were used here. The Mist is dye-based and reacts with water or moisture.
8. First spray with the lightest color (green) and then the darker color (blue) in some areas. When the spray is dry, use a damp (not wet) baby wipe or cloth to spread the color around making it look more like shabby chic. There is really no right or wrong way to do this. It is more a personal preference. Sometimes it is necessary to spray and wipe several times before it is satisfactory.
9. When happy with the color, the final coat is a shimmer mist that was sprayed lightly over the entire thing. Let dry completely.
10. Make a hanger from wire, drill or poke two holes at the top of the panels and add hanger.
11. Using fun foam, die cut the words from the A Way With Words dies.
12. Using Shimmer Sheetz, cut one Pinwheel & 3 small flowers, one Lollypop & Bow, one butterfly from the Small Butterfly set and one butterfly from the Butterfly Acc. set, one heart from the Heart Pivot set, one set of wings from the Steampunk Charms and various hearts. A metal adaptor plate is required for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial if you are new to this technique.
13. Arrange all of the pieces to your satisfaction – glue in place and enjoy.
Have a great weekend,
Elizabeth Craft Designs Products Used:
Other Supplies Used:
Painters’ Canvas Boards