By Guest Designer, Riikka Kosavin
Hi there and Happy National Scrapbook Day! It’s Riikka here from Paperiliitin guest designing! I’m so excited to be here and play with the Elizabeth Craft Designs products! I’m a mixed media crafter and first started by experimenting with different mediums in my layouts. So I thought I’d do a page of this kind for my post.
Good news! For those of you who want to give this scrapbook layout a go, Elizabeth Craft Designs is helping celebrate National Scrapbook Day by offering a kit that gives you all the ECD supplies you need to make this page. Oh, and free shipping all weekend…
The topic of the page is my older daughter and the funny hat she is wearing. The picture was actually taken last Halloween, but it could also have been from May Day as my daughter’s preschool had “wear a funny hat” day then.
As well as the photo, I took inspiration for this page from Els van de Burgt Studio’s Ribbons 1 die set as I immediately saw it as a design element for a scrapbooking page. Let’s get started!
- Die cut Ribbons 1 from Through the Lens Patterned Cardstock in Wood. Use variety of designs and colors.
2. Use Dove Gray Soft Finish Cardstock as background. Think about the placement of the photo and mark it to the page. Cut a piece of the Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet and place it inside the markings.
3. Remove the protective layer from the adhesive and layer the Ribbons 1 die cuts on to the page by adhering them to the piece. Cut the strips shorter if needed. Vary the length of strips for a mixed effect.
4. Add a few lengths of twine in the mix and staple the strips and the twine to the page. The staples lock the layers in place as well as creating a lovely detail to the background.
5. Use a palette knife and add some white gesso on top of the existing layers. Be sure to add some to the Soft Finish Cardstock. Allow to dry.
6. Add watercolors on top of the gesso. Use a couple of different colors or shades of the same color. First paint a section of the gessoed area and then add splashes to the whole page. Allow to dry.
7. Ink through the “Flower” stencil by using a similar color of Distress Ink as you’ve used in the watercolors. Go over the already colored area but leave some of the cardstock untouched.
8. Stamp using a couple of stamps from the Just a Note Clear Stamp Set. Stamp around the area you’ve planned for your photo.
9. Layer some papers from Through The Lens Patterned Cardstock in Wood behind the photo and attach the paper cluster as well as your photo with foam dots to create a 3D effect on the page.
10. Cut two set of leaves using the Big Triple Leaf die and Through The Lens Patterned Cardstock in Wood. Adhere next to photo.
11. Cut the set of alphas using the Alphabet 2 Lower Case die and any piece of scrap paper. Write the title using the piece as a stencil.
12. Finish the page with some embellishments like a flair button and some stickers. Also write the journaling and add a few little drawings near the photo.
I hope I have inspired you with this project and that you want to take a go at a layout using the Ribbons 1 die set! Just by altering the color scheme you can change the whole atmosphere of the page!
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Patterned paper (7 Dots Studio – Dreamer – Sleepless)
White gesso (Prima Marketing – Finnabair Art Basics – Heavy Gesso White)
Watercolors (Prima Marketing – Watercolor Confections – The Classics)
Distress Ink (Spiced Marmalade)
Archival Ink (Jet Black)
Black pen (Fude Ball Pen)
Flair button (A Flair for Buttons – Tell Your Story 1)
Epoxy stickers (Doodlebug Designs – Sprinkles – Self Adhesive Arrows)