By Judi Kauffman
I’m kicking off 2018 with some super simple cards. Care to join me? Each of them uses only two dies.
Though I chose the Scalloped Circles die set for the main element on all three – an embossed and lightly-sanded Shimmer Sheetz circle, you could easily substitute other circles from the collection, Stitched or Fitted, if you prefer smoother edges.
I chose an ornate embossing folder with ribbons and flowers and combined Fire Opal Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz with its coppery look and silver core (revealed when sanded) with solid color cardstock in shades of peachy pink and orange, a palette that skews toward the feminine without being overly sweet.
Switch the embossing folder and color combination as you choose! For example: With smooth-edged circles and an embossing folder that looks like metal plates (Gold, Silver or Basic Black Shimmer Sheetz) the cards will be decidedly masculine. With a folder like Elizabeth Craft Designs’ Heart Strings (Red or White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz), you’re ready for Valentine’s Day!
Reminder: You’ll need a metal adaptor plate or Big Shot machine with Precision Base Plate for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Please review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial if you are new to this technique.
- Back a 5” x 5” piece of Fire Opal Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet. Die cut with the largest Scalloped Circle die. Emboss with an embossing folder of choice and lightly sand. Trim off a narrow slice at the top. (Note: Before you trim, make sure to orient the circle so that the pattern is upright – the card will fold at the TOP.)
- Cut a piece of peachy pink cardstock to 5” x 10”, score at 5” and fold in half. Adhere the embossed circle to the folded card base with the trimmed portion along the top-fold.
- Carefully place the folded card inside the largest die from the Stitched Circles set, making sure to center the Shimmer Sheetz circle within it. (Note: You will be cutting both layers of the folded card with one pass through the machine, the top edge will be inside the die and the fold will not get cut!) Die cut the Stitched Circle and the shaped card is done.
- Back two pieces of Fire Opal Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz measuring 3.75” x 3.75” and 4.75” x 4.75”. Die cut with Scalloped Circle dies that measure 3.5” and 4.5” across. Emboss with an embossing folder of choice and lightly sand.
- Adhere the larger circle to a 5” square or peachy pink cardstock. Adhere the smaller one to a 4” square of peachy pink cardstock.
- Alter a 1.75” x 5” piece of Fire Opal Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz with alcohol inks in shades of copper, green and gold. Back it with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet. Using the double-leaf decorative corner die from Tags and More 7 – Vine, cut the corner piece four times. Remove and set aside the eight leaves and four small circles. Option: Instead of altering the SS with alcohol inks, lightly sand the corners after die cutting, but do not sand the small circles.
- Adhere the corners to the 5” square. Lightly sand the small circles and return them to their original spots in each of the corners. (Sanding the circles reveals some of the silver core color in the Shimmer Sheetz and provides contrast!)
- Adhere two leaves at each corner of the 4” square. Add a Transparent/Silver Glitter Dot peel-off to each corner.
- Add the completed squares to a top-fold orange cardstock card base measuring 5.25” x 5.25” and 4.25” x 4.25”, respectively.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Embossing folder(s) of choice
Cardstock in peachy pink and orange