It’s Karen here. One of my good friends recently had a birthday. I wanted to make her something. What’s better this time of year than a new calendar!? Using coasters as a base, I created this fun desk calendar for her! She is into butterflies and loves the idea of transformation, so transforming bar coasters into a cute butterfly calendar is, I hope, the perfect gift. The paper I chose is the 12 x 12 ModaScrap Fly & Scrap collection. It’s simply beautiful!
Here are the steps I used to make this calendar:
1. Pick up a couple bar coasters from a favorite establishment. (Many places do not mind if you take a couple! You can also find blank ones for sale with a quick Internet search.) Download a printable calendar or create one with your computer software. Each month should be approximately 1″ x 1.5″. (There are many free calendars available online.) Cut the calendar into months.
2. Create two stacks, one with January, March, May, July, September, and November and the other with February, April, June, August, October and December. Staple each stack. (The two stacks will be used side by side so two months are visible at all times.) I used the Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher stapler.
3. Cut four squares of patterned cardstock from the ModaScrap Fly & Scrap 12 x 12 paper to fit the coasters. (These are 3-1/2″ square.) Glue them onto the coasters with Kids Choice Glue. Use a credit card to make sure there are no bubbles. Once dry, sand all the edges.
4. Cut flower patterned cardstock at 3-1/2″ x 1-1/2″ and sand the edges. Cut green cardstock at 3-1/2″ x 1/2″ and sand the edges. (The green cardstock is also from the Fly & Scrap collection, one side of an ombre-effect sheet.)
5. Layer the flower and green card stock to the coasters, tucking some lace just below the pieces as shown.
6. Stamp the butterfly and caterpillar from the Bugs & Butterflies Clear stamps with black permanent ink. Color with Copic Markers BV00, BV02, G00, G02, E31, and Y26. Die cut with the coordinating dies.
7. Glue the calendar stacks to each side of the coasters and adhere the butterfly and catterpiller.
8. Punch two holes in each coaster and tie seam binding or soft ribbon with double knots to connect them, keeping the knots on the outside (back of the calendar) as shown in the photo below.
Thank you for stopping by!
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Black permanent ink
Seam binding or soft ribbon