By Judi Kauffman
Need some last-minute ornaments for your tree or to give to friends and family? These are fast, fun, and easy. They’re flat and lightweight, too – perfect for mailing.
Finished size: 2.75” to 5” in diameter.
Trees and Gift Boxes –
- Alter Green Metallic Shimmer Sheetz with alcohol inks and metallic inks. Alternatively, skip the inks and substitute Spring Peridot Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz or leave the Green Metallic unaltered, shiny and bright. Add the gold outline peel-offs, leaving as little space between them as possible, and fussy-cut around each tree and gift box. (Save the scraps of Shimmer Sheetz and the gold stars that were on the peel-off sheet for other projects!) Note: There are three trees and nine gift boxes per sheet of peel-offs as well as stars that were not used for today’s tutorial.
- Decorate the garlands on the trees with Glitter Dots and Glitter Flowers (one color or a mix of several). For projects shown, I chose Silver/Gold Glitter Flowers plus Gold/Silver, Red/Gold, and Turquoise/Silver Glitter Dots.
Frame Pieces –
- Back Ruby Gemstone and Gold Metallic Shimmer Sheetz with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet. Die cut with the Fitted Frames 5 – Lace Circles die. The die cuts multiple different concentric frames all at the same time. Keep the little dots that fall out of the die, as well as the half-oval shapes that fall out of the outermost frame. Tip: Use the lid of a gift box as a ‘tray’ so the pieces won’t disappear on your work table! Reminder: A metal adaptor plate or the Big Shot machine with Precision Base Plate is REQUIRED for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial if you are new to this technique!
- Die cut again from Gold Metallic Shimmer Sheetz that has not been backed with adhesive. Set aside these frames in a separate tray, toss the little pieces that fall out or put them into a baggie to use for shaker cards.
Complete the Ornaments –
- Die cut Gold Metallic Shimmer Sheetz and Turquoise Gemstone circles using Stitched and Fitted Circles dies in various sizes. Also die cut assorted circles from cardstock in shades of red and blue. Note: Ornaments made solely with Shimmer Sheetz are waterproof and can be wiped with a damp cloth. Ornaments that include cardstock cannot. Safety Reminder: ALL ornaments should be kept away from wick and wax candles, lightbulbs, and the fireplace!
- Lightly sand the Shimmer Sheetz circles to tone down some of the sparkle. (The key word here is ‘lightly’…) Also, lightly sand some of the frame pieces, leaving about a third of them shiny. Wipe with a damp cloth or damp paper towel.
- Layer and arrange the circles, frames, trees and gift boxes as shown or as you prefer. When pleased, remove the release sheet from the back of the frames to expose the adhesive and adhere the layers. To add a bit of dimension, use small snippets of Tombow Xtreme Adhesive Tabs to adhere the trees and gift boxes.
Note: The tiny dots make excellent additions to borders. The little half-oval pieces work well on the flowers (the flowers are at the center of the Fitted Frames die – a positive piece and a negative piece within a circle). Refer to the photos above and below.
Gold frames that do not have adhesive on the back can be used for open layers as shown below.
- Punch or pierce a tiny hole at the top of each ornament. Add a hanging loop made from fine metallic braid, twine, or sixteenth-inch ribbon.
Use ornaments as gift tags.
Add ornaments to the front of a card.
Switch to a more traditional color combination.
Skip the trees and gift boxes and use only Fitted Frames 5 pieces to create unique ornaments in a mix of Silver and Gold Metallic Shimmer Sheetz or stay monochromatic – use only White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz for all layers.
Alternatively, keep it simple – use nothing but trees and skip the gift boxes, circles and frame layers.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Fine Metallic Cord in Gold and Silver
Tim Holtz Alcohol inks in colors of choice
Tim Holtz Metallic Mixatives in Gold
Ink applicator tool
Awl, piercing tool or 1/16″ hole punch
Tombow Xtreme Adhesive Tabs
Cardstock in shades of blue and red