By Judi Kauffman
Shimmer Sheetz ornaments add a special touch to a tree, mantel, or gift box. They’re also fun to mail instead of – or inside of – a holiday card!
Each of the three snowflakes in the new die set includes partially-cut elements that can be bent upward for dimension, a beautiful detail. Instead of cutting the snowflakes out of sparkly Shimmer Sheetz, I went for the opposite, the unexpected: Matte snowflakes with a sparkly 2-layer Shimmer Sheetz background.
Match the color of the snowflake to the color of the outer circle (Shown: White Iridescent SS). Choose a contrasting color for the Stitched Circle just behind the snowflake (Shown: Ruby Gemstone and Fire Opal Gemstone SS). See the supply list for more color options or pick your own combo!
Shimmer Sheetz is a challenge to photograph, but amazing in person, and the way light reflects off the surface of the Stitched Circle makes the ornaments really special.
- Die cut a snowflake from white cardstock backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet OR from White Velvet Adhesive Sheet. Tip: Adhesive-backed snowflakes are easier to work with – no wet glue to deal with!
- Die cut a Stitched Circle from Shimmer Sheetz, backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet prior to cutting. Choose the circle that is closest to the diameter of the snowflake. (Shown: 3.75”) Reminder – A metal adaptor plate or Big Shot machine with Precision Base Plate is REQUIRED for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Review Els van de Burgt’s video tutorial if you are new to this technique.
- Die cut a Fitted Circle from White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz. Choose any circle that is larger than the Stitched Circle (a close fit, as shown – an eighth-inch border, or larger for a wider border).
- Adhere the Stitched Circle to the Fitted Circle. Before adhering the snowflake to the Stitched Circle, carefully bend the foldable elements upward so they remain dimensional. (Note: Die cut some extra snowflakes that are NOT backed with adhesive, so you can see which elements to fold upward and practice doing so.) Dip your fingertip into a tiny bit of corn starch or talcum powder and rub the back of these dimensional elements to cover the adhesive and take away the stickiness. The goal is to keep these little details bent upward so they will not return to their flat position and cannot adhere to the Shimmer Sheetz. Now adhere the snowflake to the Stitched Circle.
- Accent the arms of the snowflake with adhesive-backed half-pearls in varying sizes.
- Pierce a hole toward the top of one of the arms; add fine metallic cord, knot at the top to form a hanging loop.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Adhesive-backed half-pearls in Ivory, Gold or other color of choice
Fine metallic cord