Holiday Greetings Everyone!
Christine here today from Susan’s Garden Design Team with a Christmas card I designed using a set from Susan Tierney-Cockburn’s latest release – Glass Hurricane & Candle – along with sets from the existing collection – Garden Notes Evergreen Wreath, Garden Notes White Pine Boughs & Pinecone, and Garden Notes Holiday Holly & Berries. The card is a 6″ X 6″ tent-fold card but certainly could be done as a side-fold.
Here is how the card was created:
1. Cut white cardstock to 6″ X 12″;score at 6″ and fold on score line.
2. Cut patterned paper 5-3/4″ square (Through the Lens – Wood Series used here), adhere to card front using Clear Double Sided Adhesive.
3. Die cut 3-4 Berry Branches from brown cardstock. Use a red Pearl Pen or Nuvo Crystal Drops for the berries. Tip: Berries were done on both sides for more dimension – Susan’s trick! – or you can do only the front. Set aside to dry completely.
4. Die cut 3 Garden Notes Evergreen Wreaths from green cardstock. Add rusty color shading on each wreath using color from PanPastels Set 1. Apply PanPasteks with a light touch adding just a hint of color here and there. Pinch the pine needles upward between your fingers to give them dimension.
5. Die cut 6 – 8 boughs (both large and small) from green cardstock using Garden Notes White Pine Boughs and Pinecone. Add rusty color using PanPastels. Pinch up a bit on the needles.
6. Die cut 4-5 pinecones cutting from brown cardstock. Refer to Susan’s terrific Youtube tutorial here
7. Die cut 6-8 large holly leaves from dark green cardstock. Shade with yellow/green PanPastels Set 1. Press each one right side down into a VersaMark ink pad and while the ink is wet, coat with ultra fine clear embossing powder. Set the embossing powder with a heat tool. Gently shape leaves using Susan’s Tool Set, Molding Pad and Leaf Pad, taking care not to press too hard so the embossed areas don’t crack.
8. Die cut 1 candle from red cardstock. Alternatively, die cut from White Soft Finish Cardstock and color with markers. Gently curve from the back, using your fingers to give just a bit of dimension. Die cut flame from White Soft Finish Cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive on top. Remove protective sheet to expose the adhesive, add Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter and polish it with a fingertip to bring out the maximum sparkle. Use alcohol markers to color the flame. Adhere to top of candle with Kids Choice Glue.
9. Die cut Garden Notes Glass Hurricane from clear plastic (Mylar transparency film or plastic from packaging). Outline the clear film with a dark gray or black alcohol marker so the lantern to highlight the shape so it shows up on the card. (The photo below shows the glass hurricane before and after marker lines were added.) Note: Susan has a Facebook Live Tutorial all about the Garden Note Glass Hurricane die set which you can view here.
10. Using the smallest die from the Stitched Rectangles set, cut a piece of gold mirror (metallic) cardstock. Die cut ‘Dec. 25th’ from black cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive on BOTH the front and the back. Remove the release sheet from the front, cover with Basic Black Silk Microfine Glitter; brush off excess and return to the jar, polish with a fingertip to bring out the maximum sparkle. Adhere to gold rectangle.
Time to build card!
11. Add dimensional squares down center of back of candle and use Kids Choice Glue around the bottom and 1″ up each side (this will be covered by wreath). Adhere to card front. Refer to the photo below.
12. Adhere Glass Hurricane over candle by placing small amount of Kids Choice Glue on bottom and up 1/3 of way on each side. Place Kids Choice Glue on very edge and hold in place until glue grabs.
13. Adhere Evergreen Wreaths to card using Kids Choice Glue, rotating each wreath about a quarter turn so they are offset. This adds fullness. Make sure to have top of wreath BEHIND top of hurricane chimney. Adhere White White Pine Boughs around wreath making it fuller. Cut Berry Branches into pieces. Adhere Holly and Berry Branches. Adhere Pinecones and Dec 25th.
I do hope you have enjoyed this tutorial and it has been an inspiration.
Be sure to check out Susan’s Garden Club Weekly Live Facebook Tutorials (She will be back in January with new tutorials, but meanwhile all previous videos remain available.)
Supply lists for this card are below. By clicking on any of the pictures in the Elizabeth Craft Designs list, you’ll go directly to that product at their web store.
Until next time – Happy Crafting!
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Copic Markers for flame
Red Pearl Pen
Gold Mirror Cardstock
2 Shades Green Cardstock