By Judi Kauffman
I picked up some metal trays at the dollar store – the right price, but the wrong style…they had a nice plain red rim, but I wasn’t fond of the design printed on the interior (Santa against a beige burlap border). No problem! I gave them a whole new look with Shimmer Sheetz backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheets. It’s an easy, fun gift to whip up in a hurry or to make for last-minute entertaining. And with so many inexpensive trays out there, if you don’t want red-rimmed, you’re sure to find alternatives better suited to your taste and decor. Pretty elegant, don’t you think?
Using and caring for your trays:
Display a stack of holiday ornaments, small gifts, or pile up wrapped candies. Serve beverages, bowls of nuts and other snacks, but do NOT put food (like cheese and crackers or sandwiches) directly onto them! Shimmer Sheetz is decorative, not food-safe. But don’t worry about drips or crumbs – Shimmer Sheetz is waterproof, the trays can be wiped with a damp cloth after use.
- Cut a paper circle the size of the interior of the tray to use as a pattern. Rough-cut pieces of Shimmer Sheetz just slightly larger than the pattern when the strips are touching and tape them side by side at the ends only using low tack tape (washi). The ‘seams’ where the pieces join will show, but it won’t detract from the effect. In fact, I added Glitter Dots to the seam on one of the trays to accentuate it! The trays shown measure 11” across. Shimmer Sheetz can be pieced for larger trays and shapes other than circles.
- Lay pieces of Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheets on the back of the Shimmer Sheetz, side by side to fill the rough-cut shape. Use the pattern to cut out the circle.
- Lightly sand the surface of the Shimmer Sheetz to slightly tone down some of the sparkle.
Tip: Immediately after sanding, always wipe SS with a damp paper towel to remove the ‘dust’ (much like when sanding wood).
- Embellish the Shimmer Sheetz with strips of embossed and lightly sanded Shimmer Sheetz in the same color (as shown) or in a contrasting color. Optional: Alter the SS as well as the rim of the tray with gold metallic alcohol ink.
- Alternatively, add die cut un-sanded Shimmer Sheetz ferns and accent the seams between pieces of Shimmer Sheetz with Glitter Dots. Back the Shimmer Sheetz with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet PRIOR to die cutting! (Reminder: A metal adaptor plate or Big Shot Machine with Precision Base Plate is REQUIRED for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial if you are new to this technique. Shimmer Sheetz is placed FACE UP on the metal plate, then the die is placed FACE DOWN – cutting side toward the SS – inside the machine’s cutting sandwich.)
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Glitter Dots in Red/Gold
Tim Holtz Metallic Mixatives in Gold (Ranger)
Ink applicator tool