By Judi Kauffman
I was so excited when I saw Suzanne Cannon’s new die set with the lovely, open flourished ornament frame and three words: Peace, Joy, Love. It fits right in with one of my favorite projects – making lightweight, durable, flat Shimmer Sheetz ornaments to send instead of cards. They require only a standard envelope and postage. And Shimmer Sheetz is waterproof so the ornaments can be cleaned with a damp cloth if they get dusty.
My first thought was to make three different Christmas ornaments, but then I had another idea: Make one ornament with the two words that felt seasonal and fit nicely within the open area of the ornament (Peace and Joy) and use the third word (Love) for an ornament suitable for birthdays and anniversaries, baby showers and Valentine’s Day! I added a Stitched Circle to the first, a Stitched Heart and a butterfly to the second.
Here’s the how-to:
Before you start: If you are new to die cutting Shimmer Sheetz, review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial. A metal adaptor plate is REQUIRED as part of the cutting ‘sandwich’ – the cutting edge of the die faces down toward the metal plate; the Shimmer Sheetz goes right side up toward the die.
- Die cut the flourished ornament from Shimmer Sheetz in color(s) of choice. Shown: Spring Peridot and Pink Iridescent.
- Back Turquoise Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet. (Or choose a different color.) Die cut the words needed for ornament of choice.
- Christmas ornament: Die cut the 2.25” diameter Stitched Circle from Green Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz to back the open area in the Spring Peridot flourished frame. Layer the frame over the circle (stitches will show inside the frame), adhere the words at a slight angle.
Note: The adhesive on the back of the words will hold the circle and frame in place! Refer to photo above for precise placement.
- Love ornament: Die cut a symmetrical butterfly from Pink Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz and lightly sand to tone down the sparkle and reveal some of the white core color. Die cut a 2.25” wide Stitched Heart from White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz. Use tiny snippets of Tombow Xtreme Adhesive Tabs to adhere the heart onto the frame, overlapping it as shown. Bend butterfly wings upward. Use a snippet of a Tab to adhere the butterfly (body only) centered just below the hanging loop.
- Add a ribbon loop to each ornament. Alternatively, use metallic cord.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Tombow Xtreme Adhesive Tabs
Non-stick scissors to cut the Tabs
Sixteenth-inch ribbon or fine metallic cord