By Judi Kauffman
This is a simple card that conveys a powerful message. Dealing with a serious illness requires both hope and courage. I picked shades of pink for a friend who is about to have surgery for breast cancer. The dies are from Suzanne Cannon’s newest release, part of the A Way With Words collection.
Awareness ribbons span the rainbow, each color representing something different. For example: Orange for MS, purple for pancreatic cancer, black for mourning, yellow to support the troops. To customize the card to suit the recipient, simply change the color palette.
I used Shimmer Sheetz to create sparkly little faux staples, symbolic of the way stitches hold a person together after surgery and of the way friends are firmly connected to each other.
Before you start: If you are new to die cutting Shimmer Sheetz, review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial. A metal adaptor plate is REQUIRED as part of the cutting ‘sandwich’ – the cutting edge of the die faces down toward the metal plate; the Shimmer Sheetz goes right side up toward the die.
- Back Pink Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet. Die cut the awareness ribbon, the words ‘Hope’ and ‘Courage’. Use a sanding block to lightly sand the words and ribbon. This tones down the shine just a bit and brings out some of the white core color of the Shimmer Sheetz.
- Back a narrow strip of Ruby Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape. Using the die from the Ribbons 1 set that has rectangular openings, die cut the strip. Keep 12 of the small rectangles that fall out of the openings to use as faux staples on this card, set aside the ribbon strip and the rest of the small rectangles for other projects.
- Form a top-fold A2 card base from raspberry pink cardstock. (5.5” wide x 4.35” high)
- Center a 5.25” x 4” piece of patterned paper on the card front. Add the awareness ribbon and words. Refer to project photo for placement.
- Add three of the faux staples at each corner of the card, grouping them as shown below.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Patterned paper in coordinating colors