By Judi Kauffman
I’m excited to share a sneak peek at some brand new dies from Suzanne Cannon. They’ll be shipping soon, so be sure to watch for them! I chose a flourish from Calligraphic Elements 3 and used all four word dies that come in the Brave/Bold set (Be, Brave, Bold, Yourself).
It’s such an easy project and quite versatile. Make several to send as cards, but be sure to make one to keep. Display it framed or propped on a desk, bulletin board or dresser so you won’t forget to stay true to yourself and embrace life to the fullest.
1. Alter a 4” x 5” piece of Black Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz by daubing it with Alcohol Inks in various shades of blue and green, plus Metallic Mixatives in Gold. Back with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet. Die cut the words Brave, Bold and Yourself from the altered Shimmer Sheetz.
(REMINDER: Review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial HERE if you have not previously die cut Shimmer Sheetz. A metal adaptor plate or Sizzix Big Shot machine with Precision Base Plate is REQUIRED inside your machine’s cutting plate ‘sandwich’ and the die will be cutting side down facing the metal, the ink-altered Shimmer Sheetz will be facing up toward the cutting side of the die.)
2. Die cut the word ‘be’ three times from Dark Green Adhesive Velvet Sheet.
3. Die cut the flourish from grape cardstock three times. Turn two flourishes so the longest tails curve to the right, turn the remaining flourish so the longest tails curve to the left (mirror image).
4. Emboss a 4.75” x 6.75” piece of Blue Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz with an allover pattern folder. Lightly sand the debossed side to reveal the white core of the SS.
5. Adhere the embossed SS to a dark teal 5.5” x 7.5” side-fold card base using Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape.
6. Working one word at a time and starting at the bottom with ‘Yourself,’ remove the release sheet to expose the adhesive on the back and arrange and adhere all words on a 3.75” x 5.75” piece of soft teal cardstock. Refer to the project photo for placement. Words will touch and slightly overlap.
TIP: Use a ruler if necessary and arrange all words WITHOUT removing the release sheet to ensure that you have the placement worked out BEFORE you start. The key is to aim for visual balance, not precise centering or alignment.
7. Mat with a scant 1/8” border in dark teal. Adhere, centered on the card front.
8. Add the three flourishes, noting that the top and bottom two have the longest tails curving to the right, while the center one curves in the opposite direction. Accent each flourish with a trio of purple gems – a larger gem at the start of the flourish, smaller ones where the tails cross.
9. Visually anchor the top right and both bottom corners of the light teal cardstock by adding small light teal gems.
Instead of all three, make small cards or signs with only one of the 2-word sentiments: ‘be Brave’ or ‘be Bold’ or ‘be Yourself’.
Create a banner with a 2-word sentiment on each flag.
Add a Card Stand/Easel backing instead of a side-fold card base.
Switch the color combination!
Skip the alcohol inks and/or the sanding for more sparkle on the Shimmer Sheetz words and background!
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
A Way With Words Brave/Bold (coming soon)
Calligraphic Elements 3 (coming soon)
Cardstock in grape, light teal, dark teal
Adhesive-backed gems in purple and light teal
5” x 7” allover pattern embossing folder