Hi Artlets! It’s Suzanne here today with a sweet card to remind someone special that you’re always with them, even when you’re apart.
To get the best look with your A Way With Words dies you want good contrast between the letters and the background. I thought it would be fun to use the ModaScrap Flower Lace 2 as a background with a different colour behind it, but that creates a far too complicated pattern and the words disappear. We need more contrast! There are a number of ways to work around this problem, but here is the one I chose.
Follow along with me to see how you can make this card!
- Form a tent-fold card base from Dark Fuchsia Soft Finish Cardstock measuring 7″ wide x 6” high.
- Cut a panel of Lavender cardstock using the largest Fitted Rectangle. From the center of this panel, cut an oval opening, using the 3rd smallest oval in the Fitted Ovals die set. Hint: Use removable tape to hold the dies in place on the cardstock as they go through the die cutting machine in one pass.
- Cut a rectangular panel measuring 6 x 5” from Dark Fuschia and a mat with a 1/8” border from white cardstock and set aside for later.
- Die cut With (from With Sympathy) and You (from Thank You) from Dark Fuchsia. Cut Flower Lace 2 from white cardstock.
- Die cut a panel of white cardstock from the second largest Fitted Rectangle. Adhere Flower Lace 2 diecut to this panel by applying Kool Tack adhesive, which is clear and dimensional, behind the outer edges of the diecut. Designer Tip: Since Kool Tak is clear it won’t show in the oval should you misjudge its position! By raising the diecut, you will see a slight shadow which adds interest, but doesn’t overwhelm the words. Center and adhere this panel to the smaller Dark Fuschia panel with Clear Double Sided Adhesive.
- Center and adhere the “window” panel on top with 2 layers of Kool Tak adhesive. Alternate layering panels with Clear Double Sided Adhesive and Kool Tak to the card base.
- Cut tiny slivers of Kool Tak and adhere them to the back of With and You adhering them to the Flower Lace die as shown. This clear foam tape means you won’t have unsightly bits of tape showing. Yay! Designer Tip: The Elizabeth Craft Designs’ Fine Pointed Scissors and Fine Pointed Tweezers are perfect for this job! Don’t be afraid to overlap flourishes with other words.
So we’ve managed to add an interesting background and retained the contrast for the words by layering and keeping the colour palette limited. If I had a frame the right size, this card would be in it right now!
Happy creating, Suzanne
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Kool Tak Clear Foam tape