It’s Tina here today for the Die Cut Design Team. I want to show you a non-traditional “I Love You” card with a DIY background. Before we begin I would like to tell you that if you have been looking for a cardstock that works well with Distress Oxide Inks. Elizabeth Craft Designs’ Soft Finish Cardstock 100 lb is the perfect choice. I have tried many others and this cardstock has the best results. Below you will find easy steps for replicating this card and I will show you how awesome the Distress Oxide Inks work on the White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Cut White Soft Finish Cardstock 8 1/2″ x 5 1/2″. Score and fold in half to form a vertical side-fold card base. Finished card measures 4 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ (A2).
- Die cut Diamond Background to use as a stencil. (Make sure to poke out all the small pieces.). Place the stencil on top of White Soft Finish Cardstock and secure with masking tape at the edges. Using an ink blender, begin to ink over the stencil. You can use multiple colors as shown in the photo below or just one color.
- Die cut the stenciled background with the matching size Stitched Rectangles die and adhere to card with narrow strips of Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape.
- Create another background by smooshing the same inks onto a non-stick craft mat. Spray with water and pick up the ink onto a piece of White Soft FInish Cardstock. Dry with a heat tool and repeat several times. Spritz some water to create drippy and splotched effects. When it looks just right, set aside to dry thoroughly or heat set one more time. Tip: Set aside the die cut ‘stencil’ to use on another project!
- Die cut with the medium size Stitched Rectangles die. Mat onto a white rectangle cut with the closest size Dotted Scallop Rectangles die.
- Adhere to center of card front using Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape.
- Back a piece of blue cardstock with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet. Die cut the medium size Entwined Hearts. Carefully peel off the release sheet to expose the adhesive and adhere the hearts toward the bottom corner of the card front, angled as shown in the photo below.
- Stamp the “I Love You” sentiment from the Clear Stamps General Sentiments with blue ink to match the hearts or any other dark ink of choice. Die cut the sentiment with the appropriately-sized Stitched Fishtail Banners die. Adhere to card using foam tape or Pop-ups.
I hope you enjoyed a non-traditional take on a romantic card, just right for an anniversary or whenever you want to say a simple ‘I love you’ to someone special. Using a die to create a stencil and changing to non-traditional colors makes this uniquely your own.
Thanks for stopping by and if you are interested in any of the products I used you can find direct links below for easy shopping.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Distress Oxide Inks in color(s) of choice
Foam tape or pop-ups