It’s Frances here, and it’s my turn to post a tutorial today for Pop it Ups Wednesday. This time around I decided to pull out my steampunk themed dies and stamps, combined with the Oval Pull Card and Jinks the Monkey, to create a birthday card. I have to admit that steampunk is a little out of my comfort zone, but it can be fun to play with something in ways that aren’t what I normally do.
Here is how I created my card:
Step 1 – Creating the Glitter Background:
- Attach a piece of Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape to a piece of White Soft Finish Cardstock that is the same size as the Stage it Stencil – Gears. Set aside the release sheet that covered the adhesive, don’t toss it into the trash.
- Turn the stencil so the side that will be attached to the adhesive is facing up and cover all over with VersaMark Ink. Adhere stencil over the adhesive on the cardstock. (NOTE: The ink is an important step, it allows the stencil to be easily removed from the adhesive!)
- Cover the stencil with the release paper you saved. Use a bone folder or brayer to make sure the stencil is attached so that no glitter can get under the stencil in the next step.
- Use Copper Silk Microfine Glitter to cover the exposed areas of adhesive (the open parts of the stencil). Remove any excess glitter and return to jar. Polish the glitter into the adhesive using your fingertip to bring out the maximum sparkle. (For best results, use a Swiffer to remove any excess glitter that may be clinging to the stencil or cardstock.)
- Carefully remove the stencil to expose the remaining adhesive. Be careful not to touch any of the adhesive. Cover these remaining areas with Basic Black Silk Microfine Glitter. Remove any excess glitter and return to jar. Polish the glitter into the adhesive using your fingertip.
- Cut the glittered background into two pieces, one measuring 2 1/2 x 6 inches and another piece measuring 1 1/4 x 6 inches.
- Using the main die from the Oval Pull Card die set, centre the centre nubs of the die on the fold of the card and run through die cutting machine.
- Cut two pieces of Rich Black Soft Finish Cardstock to 3/4 x 6 inches and attach to the side of each of the glitter background panels created in step 1.
- Adhere panels to both the left and right sided of the Pull Card using photo above as a guide.
- (1) Solid Body from black cardstock.
- (1) Detail Body from brown cardstock.
- (1) Solid Tail from black cardstock.
- (1) Detail Tail from brown cardstock.
- (1) Face from flesh/tan cardstock.
- (1) Chest from flesh/tan cardstock.
- (1) set of inner ears from flesh/tan cardstock (you will need to use the detail body for these).
- Assemble Jinks using photo above as a guide.
- (1) Hat from black cardstock.
- (1) Hat Band from Silver Metallic Shimmer Sheetz (that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the back).
- (1) set of Wings from White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz (no adhesive).
- (1) Small Gear from Copper Cardstock.
- Assemble Hat using photo above as a guide.
- Adhere the Hat to Jinks’s hand (see photo below).
- Using a blending tool and Vintage Photo Distress Oxide Ink, blend ink around the edges of both white circles.
- Layer the white ovals to the black ovals.
- Adhere one of the oval sets to the oval on the front of the card using foam tape for dimension.
- Adhere Jinks with his hat to the front oval using foam tape.
- Adhere to the reverse side of the oval (see photo above).
- Layer gears as desired and use to decorate the card. Refer to photo above for placement.
- Use a Black/Silver Glitter Dots Peel Off Sticker to the centre of each of the gears and also to the closure tab at the top of the card.