Since spring is upon us here in Colorado and I can hear birds singing in the trees, a brightly colored bird card seemed like a great way to celebrate. In this project, the bird is adhered to clear fishing line that can be twisted before placing the card in an envelope to create a “spinning” surprise when pulled out. Colorful and fun!
Here’s how I made the card:
- Using waterproof black ink, stamp the bird on a branch, 2 leafy branches and 3 pairs of cherries from the Feathered Friends Clear Stamp set onto white cardstock. Color with your favorite markers. (I used Bristol Smooth paper and Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers.) The photo below shows my colored images Note that some extra stamped images that were not used are also shown. Die cut the bird, branches and cherries using the matching Feathered Friends Dies.
- Stamp the bird on a branch image onto acetate with waterproof black ink and quickly flip over and rub image on to white cardstock to transfer the mirrored image (a stamping tool, like the MISTI, can help get a clear stamped image on the acetate). If needed, fill in any of the lines in the image that did not transfer in using a permanent black marker. Color with markers to match the bird image from Step 1. Fussy cut the reverse image bird on a branch using fine point scissors. Trim to match the back of the bird from Step 1 as shown in the photo below, leaving a narrow white halo that is the same as the die created.
- Cut a piece of 100 lb. White Soft Finish Cardstock to 5 ½” x 11” and fold in half to create an A2 side-fold card base. Use the fourth largest oval in the Stitched Oval Dies to cut an oval out of the center of the front of the card base. Using the third largest and fourth largest Ovals die cut 2 frames from Ladybug Red Soft Finish Cardstock (only 1 frame pictured below).
- Stamp the “You’re So Sweet” greeting from the General Sentiments Clear Stamp Set twice on to Sunflower Soft Finish Cardstock using detail black ink. Die cut one out using the smallest die in the Dotted Scallop Rectangles Dies Set. From the second greeting, trim around the “t” in “Sweet” leaving enough border to cover the “S” on the first greeting. Adhere down over the “S” on the die cut greeting to change the sentiment to “You’re So Tweet.”
- Mask off the back panel of the card base and randomly stamp cherry pairs around the oval on the front of the card base using black ink. Leave the top center and lower corners blank and have the images go randomly off the edges of the card front here and there.
- Place a small strip of 3 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape at the top and bottom of the oval opening cut from the card front in Step 3. Stretch a piece of clear fishing line across the oval opening vertically and press on to the adhesive strips. Add another strip of adhesive on top of the first strip to sandwich the fishing line between layers of tape. Trim off excess fishing line as needed.
- Adhere a strip of 10 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape down the back of the first “bird on a branch” stamped and die cut image (branch points to the right). Press it vertically onto the fishing line in the upper two thirds of the oval. Open the card front and using 3 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape and liquid glue as needed, adhere the mirrored bird on a branch onto the back of the first, lining up the edges as closely as possible, sandwiching the fishing line between the two birds.
- Run 3 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape along the back of the two Ladybug Red oval frames. Peel off the backing and carefully press the frame on to the front of the card base right around the edges of the oval opening; trim off any card base that may stick out behind the frame once adhered. Open the card and very carefully adhere the second frame around the inside edge of the oval opening, making sure to match it up with the frame on the front if it sticks over the edge from the front. Using 3 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape and liquid glue as needed, adhere the 2 leafy branches onto the front of the card base in the center top above the oval frame facing either direction. Adhere one cherry pair onto both lower corners of the card front. Finally, trim apart the third cherry pair, shorten the stems on the cherries and then adhere to the back of the die cut, matching up the stamped stems on the front, creating a much shorter cherry pair. Use small foam dots to adhere it on top of the leafy branches in the top center of the card front. Trim off any additional fishing line that sticks out from beneath the oval frame at the bottom or cherry pair at the top.
- Using 10 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape, adhere the Scalloped rectangle greeting to the inside of the card base to show through the lower third of the oval opening on the front. Add Red/Gold Glitter Dots randomly around the stamped cherry pairs on the front to complete the card.
- If desired, twist the fishing line several times before placing the card in an envelope so that the bird will spin when it is pulled out and opened. Enjoy!
Elizabeth Craft Designs Products Used:
Feathered Friends Clear Stamps
Feathered Friends Dies
General Sentiments Clear Stamps
Stitched Ovals Dies
Dotted Scallop Rectangles Dies
100 lb. White Soft Finish Cardstock
Ladybug Red Soft Finish Cardstock
Sunflower Soft Finish Cardstock
Red/Gold Glitter Dots Peel Off Stickers
3 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape
6 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape
10 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape
Limited Edition Pink/Silver Fine Pointed Tweezers
Markers (Shown: Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers)
Marker-friendly white cardstock (Shown: Bristol Smooth)
Waterproof Black Ink
Detail Black Ink
Black Detail Marker
Stamp Positioning Tool (I used the MISTI)