Hi Everyone! It’s Tina here today for Susan’s Garden Club. By now you’ve seen the stunning new line from Susan Tierney-Cockburn. I was so excited when I saw that there was a Gerbera Daisy die because the Gerbera Daisy is my favorite flower, a flower that makes me happy. For my last post I showed you how to create a bubble background for your card. Today I have another background technique for you. It’s the Wax Paper Technique. Below are the steps to create the background and the rest of the card.
Wax Paper Technique
The items you will need are wax paper, an embossing folder, embossing machine, white cardstock, lightweight white paper (photocopy paper used for a printer), an iron and inks.
- Cut wax paper measuring 4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″ and crumble it into a ball. Then open it up and smooth it out.
- Place the wax paper in an embossing folder of your choice and pass it through your embossing machine.
- Cut 2 sheets of white cardstock measuring 4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″. Place the wax paper in between the two sheets of cardstock creating a sandwich. Fold a sheet of plain paper in half and insert the sandwich to the fold line. This will ensure that the sandwich stays together.
- On high setting carefully iron the entire sandwich. (No need to iron both sides)
- The wax resist is now on both pieces of the white cardstock but you can’t see it yet. Carefully place the surface face up.
- Now the magic begins. Use ink and colors of your choice. I used Distress Inks, blending them on the surface with the wax paper acting as a resist.
To Complete the Card
- Cut a piece of plain cardstock measuring 8 1/2″ x 5 1/5″, score and fold in half to create a 4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″ side-fold card base.
- Cut a piece of White Soft Finish Cardstock measuring 4″ x 5 1/4″. (If you used the wax paper technique emboss the white cardstock using the same embossing folder.) Emboss and adhere to center front of card using clear double sided adhesive.
- Die cut the wax paper background (or patterned paper if you didn’t create your own) using the Stitched Rectangles Die. Adhere to center front of card using Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape.
- Die cut and assemble Garden Notes Gerbera Daisy using Susan’s Garden All Metal Tool Set. Optional: Add Prills to the center of flower (as shown). Adhere to left side of card on a slight angle using hot glue gun or Beacon Kids Choice Glue. Refer to the project photo for placement.
- Die cut Leafy Branch 2 (2 times) in accent color and Pair of Leaves 1 in green. Adhere to card. Refer to the photo for placement.
- Using black ink, stamp a sentiment from the Dream Sentiments Clear Stamps set onto White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Die cut the stamped sentiment with Stitched Fishtail Banners. Adhere to card using foam dots or tape to add dimension.
- Add some embellishments such as Crystal Nuvo Drops, sequins or gems.
I hope you enjoyed another simple Do It Your Own Background Technique. This card can be used for any occassion just change the sentiment and the colors. Thank you for stopping by.
Elizabeth Craft Designs Product Used
Other Product Used
Crystal Nuvo Drops (or sequins or gems)