Happy New Year – Welcome 2017! Hello Everyone, it is Christine from Susan’s Design Team. Today’s card is another winter theme card and although Christmas is over the card could be used as a birthday card for a winter birthday. My inspiration for this card was a square wreath that I had seen recently. This card features the beautiful cardinals, one of my very favorite birds.
Here is how the card was made.
- Using Susan’s Garden Notes Square Grapevine Wreath die and 2 shades of brown cardstock, cut 4 wreaths – 2 from light brown 2 from dark brown. Using Susan’s PanPastels Kit 3 – DarkBbrown and a sponge, shade all of the wreaths.
- Using Susan’s Garden Notes White Pine Bough & Pinecone die set and green cardstock, cut 8-10 large pine boughs and a few small ones. Using Rust PanPastel from Set 1 give the boughs a little shading, then pinch up the needles with your fingers to give dimension. Make 3 pinecones – I cut 2 bases for each pine cone and cut the rest of the pieces several times for each pinecone. Shape and assemble using Susan’s how-to video, found here, as a reference.
- Cut 2 cardinals using white cardstock and Susan’s Garden Notes Birds 1 die. Color 1 as female and 1 as male using markers. (A quick Internet image search will provide photos to go by for the coloring.) Lay both cardinals face down on the molding pad and using large ball tool from Susan’s Tool Set rub, using a circular motion, to shape and give them dimension.
- Using Els van de Burgt’s Berry Branch die, cut 6-8 branches from brown cardstock (at least 3-4 from cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive on back. Adhere the layers to make sturdier branches. Using Red Pearl Pen, make berries on branches and set aside to dry.
- Make card base by cutting kraft cardstock 6″ x 12″; score at 6″ and fold on score line. This card is a tent- (top-) fold card. Cut 1 piece of printed paper 5-3/4″ square. Using Clear Double Sided Adhesive attach printed paper to card front.
- Build Card – Attach the 4 wreaths together 1 at a time using Kids Choice Glue at various spots. Each wreath was given 1/4 turn before attaching. Pinch up on branches all around wreaths for a more natural look. Attach pine boughs using Kids Choice Glue, arranged as shown or to your liking. Next add berry branches. Add cardinals, being careful to put glue just on very edges so shaped areas remain dimensional. Attach pinecones with Kids Choice Glue. Add liquid applique or embossing paste to pine cones to look like snow. Using Kids Choice Glue and a toothpick, add small streaks of glue to areas all over card, sprinkle Diamond Dust or other chunky glitter, allow to dry and tap off excess. Option: Instead of glitter, use Liquid Applique and a heat tool to puff it up, creating the look of snow.
Elizabeth Craft Designs Supplies
B&T (Background & Texture Paper / Printed Paper) – Oh Deer Paper Packet (Close to My Heart)
Cardstock – Kraft brown, green, white, light brown, dark brown
Red Pearl Pen
Diamond Dust, Liquid Applique or Embossing paste
Markers to color cardinals
Hope you have enjoyed my tutorial today and that it has inspired you to try making your own card. Be sure to visit Elizabeth Craft Designs for your supplies.
Until next time – Happy Scrapping!