It’s Frances here today. For my card I have created a “Gap Card” using the Candles die set. It is called a “Gap Card” as there is a gap or opening between the top and bottom of the card where you can see the inside of the card.
Here’s how I created my card:
1. Cut a piece of Rosebud Soft Finish Cardstock that measures 5 1/2 inches x 7 3/4 inches. Score along the 7 3/4 inch side at 5 1/2 inches.
- Cut another piece of Rosebud Soft Finish Cardstock that measures 2 1/4 inches x 5 1/2 inches.
- Cut two pieces of Orange Soft Finish Cardstock that measure 2 inches x 5 1/4 inches.
- Cut two pieces of diagonal designer paper that measure 1 3/4 inches x 5 inches.
- Layer the diagonal pieces of card onto the Orange Soft Finish Card and then onto each of the Rosebud Soft Finish Card panels.
- Use removable tape to temporarily adhere the bottom panel so it is level with bottom and sides of the inside of the card. (This will make creating the ‘gap’ easier.)
2. Using the Candles die, die cut the following:
- (10) Solid Candles from White Soft Finish Cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the front.
- (5) Overlay Candles from White Soft Finish Cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the front. (I used one of each of the 4 overlays and then 1 a second time.)
- Remove the protective backing from the Overlay Candles (keep the protective backing on the flame part for now) and cover each candle with one of the following colors of Silk Microfine Glitter – Spring Peridot; True Red; Orange; Sky or Peony Pink. Brush off the excess glitter and polish the glitter into the adhesive using your finger.
- Next remove the protective backing from the flame of the overlay candle and dip into the Yellow Silk Microfine Glitter, brush off excess glitter from flame and polish the glitter into the adhesive using your finger.
- Remove the protective backing from the solid candles and place the overlay candle onto the solid candle being careful not to touch the adhesive. Place a scrap of protective backing over the candles and press down to ensure that the overlay is attached to the solid candle. Cover the remaining adhesive with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter. Brush off excess and polish the glitter into the adhesive using your finger.
3. Place a scrap of protective backing from adhesive tape onto the inside part of the card between the ‘gap’ to make sure that the candles do not adhere to the inside when adhering them to the front of the card.
- Apply a piece of Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the back of each candle and flame. Adhere the two outer candles and the centre candle first and then adhere the two middle candles to the front of the card to make positioning of the candles even.
4. Die cut the A Way with Words Best Wishes sentiment from Ladybug Red Soft Finish Cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the back.
- Adhere the word “Best” to the centre of the top panel of the card and the word “Wishes” to the centre of the bottom panel of the card. (I die cut two of each sentiment and layered them together on the card so that the sentiment stood out a little better on the card, but this is optional.)
5. Turn the card over so you can see the back of the card, and using the remaining solid candles over the candles being careful to line them up. This will help strengthen the “gap” opening of the card.
The Inside of the Card:
6. Using the A Way with Words Happy Birthday 2 die set, die cut from Ladybug Red Soft Finish Cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the back. Adhere the words to the top and bottom of the card so that they cannot be seen through the “gap” of the card.
Thanks for stopping by today, I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Designer Paper – Doodlebug Design Inc. Sun kissed 12 x 12 Designer Paper
Die Cutting Machine