Hi, It’s Marsha, back again with some easy peasy Shimmer Sheetz Christmas decor!
Do you ever go to a store determined to find something cute and then come back empty-handed because every time you saw something there, you heard this voice in your head saying: ‘I can make that!’ Or: ‘I would totally buy that, if only it would come in another colour’… ?!
Well, it happened to me this week: I went to the garden centre to look at what’s new in Christmas decor and I found this wooden Christmas tree frame with fairy lights that I liked. Except the colours were not to my taste and then I thought: I wonder if I can customize it… Or… maybe I can just make something similar using my dies and Shimmer Sheetz!
Here’s how I created it:
1. Get a piece of 3/8 inch square dowel and cut it into three parts to create a triangle shape. Glue the dowel pieces together with wood glue or a strong craft adhesive.
I’m not a wood worker and nor is my husband, but I just told him what I had in mind and he made something up. I don’t think he even measured it! The bottom dowel ended up 6.7 inches and the upright dowels are about 9.45 inches long.
2. Paint the tree frame to match your holiday decor!
3. Add a wooden building block or something similar to give the tree a trunk.
4. Choose three or four colours of Shimmer Sheetz and use Ornament Set 4 to die-cut 5 or 6 ornament shapes.
Remember that you need a Metal Adaptor Plate to be able to die-cut through Shimmer Sheetz with intricate dies like the ornament shapes!
5. Add Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the back of a scrap of Shimmer Sheetz before you die-cut the little ornament hanger. Remove the protective sheet and stick it on the ornament.
6. Wrap a small string of fairy lights around the Christmas tree frame.
I found these micro-LED lights at the garden centre. I didn’t use anything to fix them to the frame, I was able to just bend the wire around the frame and it stayed put on its own.
7. Use jump rings to hang the Shimmer Sheetz ornaments on the wire.
I like to use two pliers to bend the jump rings open (like you see in the photo above) and I close the ring (on the wire, with the Shimmer Sheetz ornament attached) by bending it in the exact opposite direction before closing it.
8. Find your Christmas tree frame a place in your home and turn on the lights!
Have a wonderful day!
3/8 inch Square dowel
Wooden building block
Micro LED fairy lights